Red Spot Glass Cardinal fish

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see these all the time on Divers Den, and I am sure they are a great starter fish. Does anyone have these, or has experience with them?
Screenshot_2016-01-27-17-19-55.png

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a group of 10 in my 66g that I got from divers den. They stay under 2" and will actually school/free swim. In my experience they aren't aggressive to one another. Unfortunately I lost the group to a velvet outbreak in my DT. Before that I lost 1 by it jumping out.

Since I have tried a group of 17 from my LFS.......1 survived. I tried 2 from another LFS neither survived qt. They have a reputation of being difficult and I believe it's from not being collected well.

Once I get some funds I plan on ordering another group of 10 from DD to accompany my lone survivor. That is the only source I would attempt them from again.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@melev just bought a lot of them, and I think @chopsie has kept them as well. Maybe they'll chime in. I definitely want some of these in my next tank.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a group of 10 in my 66g that I got from divers den. They stay under 2" and will actually school/free swim. In my experience they aren't aggressive to one another. Unfortunately I lost the group to a velvet outbreak in my DT. Before that I lost 1 by it jumping out.

Since I have tried a group of 17 from my LFS.......1 survived. I tried 2 from another LFS neither survived qt. They have a reputation of being difficult and I believe it's from not being collected well.

Once I get some funds I plan on ordering another group of 10 from DD to accompany my lone survivor. That is the only source I would attempt them from again.
I plan on trying a group from DD one a day, I was thinking they would like the first fish to go in the tank, whenever that finally happens. They do seem like tetras.

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a group of 5 once from DD and like so many others they just seemed to dissappear... 1 by 1 until I had no more over about 6 months time or so... they are really pretty and natural looking in a reef... but seem to be short lived

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were acclimated tonight, and I'm just waiting for the 60g to finally finish cycling. I was going to put them in my reef originally, but then I started to worry my wrasses might decided they are delicious. And the Sebae seems to like to eat fish... so they are in holding right now...

FullSizeRender 15.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store I work at had them in a couple of displays a few years ago. They need multiple feedings a day, a few would die on holidays when nobody came in to feed. They are quite peaceful and would school well. Lifespan seems to be around 9-12 months.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store I work at had them in a couple of displays a few years ago. They need multiple feedings a day, a few would die on holidays when nobody came in to feed. They are quite peaceful and would school well. Lifespan seems to be around 9-12 months.
They do seem like neon tetras, I had some in freshwater tanks. One by one they would slowly die off. I still want to try them though.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More like a reverse rummynose
Yeah, that's true. I would a rummynose is more resilient, but they say under the right conditions a neon can live like 10-15 years. Just the time I tried to keep some they didn't work out that well. But I think a couple of them had neon tetra disease.

Tyler D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had three survivors from a five-lot purchased from DD since 12/2015. All three are still going strong and I contemplate adding more every time I see them pop up on DD... a great (low bioload) addition to any reef IMO.

OP
OP
Cleo642

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had three survivors from a five-lot purchased from DD since 12/2015. All three are still going strong and I contemplate adding more every time I see them pop up on DD... a great (low bioload) addition to any reef IMO.
I wonder why they die of so easily? Maybe a short life span.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's true. I would a rummynose is more resilient, but they say under the right conditions a neon can live like 10-15 years. Just the time I tried to keep some they didn't work out that well. But I think a couple of them had neon tetra disease.
With neon tetras, soft, clean water was the trick! Once I used RO I kept them for years! :)

Also, nice fish I too see these all the time!:)

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back