Red Stuff on rocks - Cyano?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time with actual lights on an aquarium and the uglies are rolling in on schedule. Expected, and with it brings more stuff to learn.

I’m curious about what this red coloration is that has developed on the rocks and sand where it got a foothold before the green algae, also on the glass but I clean it off. I have a grow light in the sump, but in there I only get green algae, so assume I’m getting different growth due to different lighting (much bluer in DT)

My first impression is cyano?

Nitrates: 30
Phosphate: 0.5
Lights:
DT: Noops at 30% except green and red at 5%
Sump: Grow light (lots of red)

Photos under plain cool white light from the DT lighting.

IMG_9239.jpeg
IMG_9238.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant tell from the pictures but if it is it will likely be more obvious in a few days. Or if it's coralline algae that will start to encrust vs slime over the rocks. I have seen red/pink and green coralline algae but never noticed that they preferred different spectrums? :cool:

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant tell from the pictures but if it is it will likely be more obvious in a few days. Or if it's coralline algae that will start to encrust vs slime over the rocks. I have seen red/pink and green coralline algae but never noticed that they preferred different spectrums? :cool:
Does it help with the diagnosis if the stuff is pretty tough to get off the glass - needs a good scrub with the magnet to kinda scratch/abrade it off. Definitely doesn’t swipe off.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it help with the diagnosis if the stuff is pretty tough to get off the glass - needs a good scrub with the magnet to kinda scratch/abrade it off. Definitely doesn’t swipe off.
That does sound like the good stuff! Coralline will resist a Mr. Clean Magic Cleaninging Pad where cyano is one, two, gone.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time with actual lights on an aquarium and the uglies are rolling in on schedule. Expected, and with it brings more stuff to learn.

I’m curious about what this red coloration is that has developed on the rocks and sand where it got a foothold before the green algae, also on the glass but I clean it off. I have a grow light in the sump, but in there I only get green algae, so assume I’m getting different growth due to different lighting (much bluer in DT)

My first impression is cyano?

Nitrates: 30
Phosphate: 0.5
Lights:
DT: Noops at 30% except green and red at 5%
Sump: Grow light (lots of red)

Photos under plain cool white light from the DT lighting.

IMG_9239.jpeg
IMG_9238.jpeg
I think it so coralline. If so that is a good thing. Hard to tell fork pic

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back