Red tunicate and Caulerpa Mexicana???

CJWilliams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some livestock pieces from TBS. Any ideas on the red stuff and green stuff on this front red rock???

Not sure about the white polyp looking things either.

IMG_7659.jpeg IMG_7763.png

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some livestock pieces from TBS. Any ideas on the red stuff and green stuff on this front red rock???

Not sure about the white polyp looking things either.

IMG_7659.jpeg IMG_7763.png
Holy Jack Pot Batman!

Agree with tunicates, cup coral and the green stuff ID.

Now all this stuff may not thrive in your tank perpetually, you may loose some of it, but what a great start!

Keep an eye out for whelks (leopard print is the give away) and gorilla crabs. Whelks you can pretty much snag at leisure. For gorilla crabs, snatch the rock out and evict with extreme prejudice. Long tweezers to force them out of the rocks. Even small ones can kill fish. Traps are hit or miss.
IMG_5060.jpg

image1 (25).jpeg

Porcelain crabs are the only good crabs ever in the history of the hobby... The waving filter feeding mouthparts are the give away.
image4 (10).jpeg

Let us know what else you find!

OP
OP
C

CJWilliams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that rock. Hope it all stays alive. Kept it all in a QT for about 2 weeks with trap and a peppermint shrimp. Caught a couple worms.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas , can you help with the ID of the red thing?
Almost certainly a colonial tunicate of some variety (the striping on the holes isn't uniform in number across the holes from what I can see, so that eliminates corals; additionally, the striping doesn't really occur on sponges, but it's fairly common on tunicates).

For the OP, some colonial tunicates can be extremely invasive; I don't know that yours are, but to be safe, I'd isolate the rock their on so that you can easily contain them if needed. Other than that, colonial tunicates are harmless filter feeders and pretty neat.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back