What is on my chalice and rock?

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this brown/black stuff under my chalice? Is it colonial tunicates? If so, do I get rid of them or what?
What are these white things under my rock that I circled. They look white/translucent and then there is something else under there with red feather's coming out.
Tunicates.jpg
No ID.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it colonial tunicates? If so, do I get rid of them or what?
That would be my guess from the pic - some species can be incredibly invasive, so I'd get them off the chalice; if you want to keep them, I'd isolate them on a rock where you can easily remove any trying to leave the rock.
What are these white things under my rock that I circled. They look white/translucent and then there is something else under there with red feather's coming out.
The white things are either sponges or tunicates; I can't tell which from the pic. I don't know that I see any red feathers in the pic, but I see a lot of feather duster worm tubes and at least a couple of feather duster crowns in the pic, so I'd guess it's probably a feather duster.

All of these should be harmless filter feeders.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What is this brown/black stuff under my chalice? Is it colonial tunicates? If so, do I get rid of them or what?
Tunicates.jpg
No ID.jpg
tunicates possible but can also can be mesentrial filaments.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be my guess from the pic - some species can be incredibly invasive, so I'd get them off the chalice; if you want to keep them, I'd isolate them on a rock where you can easily remove any trying to leave the rock.

The white things are either sponges or tunicates; I can't tell which from the pic. I don't know that I see any red feathers in the pic, but I see a lot of feather duster worm tubes and at least a couple of feather duster crowns in the pic, so I'd guess it's probably a feather duster.

All of these should be harmless filter feeders.
Thank you. I think I’ll try to scrape them off the chalice out of the water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back