Red Turf Algae. I love this stuff

  • Thread starter Thread starter OrionN
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Joined
Jul 28, 2013
Messages
11,302
Reaction score
22,521
Location
Corpus Christi, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I set up my tank, I have this red turf algae that my fish absolutely love. I put these rock in Corpus Christi bay for several months prior to put them fresh straight into my tank. Leave alone this algae will grow into a think mat. As it my tangs and Angels mow it down as fast as it grow. I think it is a huge healthy food source for my herbivores. The algae is resilient enough to stay alive through our the up and down of my tank. Here is a picture of this algae. When they grow in a mat, it is a bright red in coloration which is nice color on the rock.
RedTurfAlgae2025061001.JPG
 
Another picture from f this algae right in the middle of my aquarium. It was under a huge mass of aiptasia. Now that my CBB clearing a lot of the aiptasia out, the algae again become a source of food for my tangs and angels.
IMG_8403.jpeg
 
Surprised that tang isn't mowing it down
The tangs and angels are mowing it down. It really grow well but the fish really keep it really short.
 
I have some of it, and it gets pretty hairy since I just have a tailspot and a clown. I'm kinda not fond of it, honestly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new