Red tuxedo urchin

anthony2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red tuxedo urchin died today and I was hoping to get some ideas as to why. I have had him for two weeks and he was doing good traveling the tank no spine loss. This evening I found his remains. He hadn't shown any signs of sickness no spine loss and was moving around last night. I've not been having good luck with inverts. There was alga in the tank for him to eat. I've had a IPC water test done and it was within normal limits (nothing toxic, metals or mineral wise.) My tank: salinity 34.9 ppm temperature: 76.9 oF ammonia: 0 nitrite: 0 nitrate: 2.5 ppm alkalinity: 7.7 dkh. I did do a water change Sunday with RODI water and fritz rpm reef salt. What can I be doing better to ensure survival of these guys? I'd appreciate any advice to get better at the hobby.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your urchin!

How did you acclimate it to your tank?

Have all your parameters been holding steady for the past two weeks?

How old is your tank?

Was it captive bred or wild caught?

AlgaeBarn sells captive bred ones and they say in the description that “ These captive bred specimens are considerably hardier than those we've used in the past.” which leads me to believe that these guys in general might be quite sensitive to any fluctuations in your parameters and that they really need a nice long drip acclimation. When I got mine I drip acclimated it for 2 hours.

OP
OP
A

anthony2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your urchin!

How did you acclimate it to your tank?

Have all your parameters been holding steady for the past two weeks?

How old is your tank?

Was it captive bred or wild caught?

AlgaeBarn sells captive bred ones and they say in the description that “ These captive bred specimens are considerably hardier than those we've used in the past.” which leads me to believe that these guys in general might be quite sensitive to any fluctuations in your parameters and that they really need a nice long drip acclimation. When I got mine I drip acclimated it for 2 hours.
The parameters have been steady. I did a 1 hour drip. I got mine from live aquaria which didn't say if it was captive bred. My tank is a few months old. I've never owned a fish tank I'm starting to wonder if the water change might have done it maybe I changed a parameter I don't test for to quickly? Thanks for you reply I appreciate the help!

OP
OP
A

anthony2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one from algae barn and it is really hardy. I feed it nori every once in a while, and it absolutely destroys algae in my tank.
I'm pretty new, that's why I bought one I figured it would be hardy enough for my experience level. I was pretty disappointed. I may try again later when I know I can keep one happy.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty new, that's why I bought one I figured it would be hardy enough for my experience level. I was pretty disappointed. I may try again later when I know I can keep one happy.
I am too, tank is about 9 months old. When you go to getting another the blue tuxedo from algae barn has been great for me. I'm currently trying to get my parameters to stabilize for SPS corals, I've had some swings in Alk from 9-7dKH and no issues with it. Building a reef pi and a dosing regimen right now to make the other parameters more stable.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back