Redsea is a joke

Notsolostfish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2014
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
801
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry but this is crazy, this is the third time my afr line explode with my redsea tubing, this is rediculous, i was cleaning the leak for an hour. Why would the line explode? It was backed up all the way up, and i dont know why. I mix my own afr for 2 years. Either the line clogs up at the top, and this time was clogged inside. All i did was adding redsea alk 30ml this morning to fix mh alk this morning. I added it in the middle chamber and my afr line in the return pump i dont know if there any relation between those two. Im beyond ticked off my system use over 1.5dkh and i lost half of that dkh. Im so tired of afr, so tired of my lines exploding we pay top money for garbage. I tried moving the tip inside the water it clogs, everywhere it CLOGS rediculous
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure it's really fair to blame Redsea tbh. The lines are not intended for high pressures, lol. Sounds like stopping the clogs will solve your problem, perhaps diluting it by half and doubling the dose, maybe. When you say the line exploded, did the connectors disconnect, or the silicon split?
 
AFR is basically a saturated solution, it likes to precipitate like crazy. I get little rocks of it at the end of my dosing line, you have to pick them off every once in a while. So I agree that it isn't necessarily Red Sea's fault there, even though I do have a lot of problems with them as a company.
 
I always had my ATO line drip on my AFR dosing line to wash it off and it worked for years without issue. Guessing it clogged near the tip and then the pressure make it pop.
 
Make sure what ever you are dosing has a ventilation hole or the cap is a little lose. If you create enough negative pressure it can cause the line to pop.
 
I will get a little crud on the end of my dosing tube from my AFR. I pinch it off every couple of weeks when I change out my filter sock, no big deal. I clean out my hoses every few months to ensure I don't have any problems. I use clear airline tubing, it's much sturdier than that Red Sea tubing
 
Mine used to clog at the tip but then I started keeping the end of the hose under water. No more clogging. Not red seas fault here..
 
That's why I just don't use dosing pumps anymore. No matter what I did the solution would always crystallize in the middle of the tube, and given that the tube was 6' long it was a giant pain to try and get the clogs out of the tube.

Maybe at some point I'll figure out a way to keep the dosing pumps closer to the sump, but that day is not today.
 
Mine used to clog at the tip but then I started keeping the end of the hose under water. No more clogging. Not red seas fault here..
How do you not get or guarantee no siphoning?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new