Redsea Nitrate test - different results.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently i noticed when i was doing test for nitrate using Red Sea test kit, their instructions says fill 5ml tank water in A B bottles and add 5 drops of liquid then the scoop of their reagent shake well and wait for 5 min to read.

5 min later i get the reading of 3ppm but if i leave it stay for an hour or more i get 5ppm reading,
today when i tested again, same thing i got 5ppm after 5min then couple hours later 12ppm (which is the next color match after 5)

So which is correct? the reading after 5min!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent question. And I have seen the same thing happen with a couple of my API tests. I use API because they are easy, quick and cheap. But I also have Salifert test kits as back up in case the API test ever give me a flyer of a result. BTW, when I have used both to do the same test, they almost always end up so close in results that the difference is insignificant!

ReefOn55thDubai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea test clearly states that you leave it for 9 minutes after mixing. Then you read the result.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently i noticed when i was doing test for nitrate using Red Sea test kit, their instructions says fill 5ml tank water in A B bottles and add 5 drops of liquid then the scoop of their reagent shake well and wait for 5 min to read.
5 min later i get the reading of 3ppm but if i leave it stay for an hour or more i get 5ppm reading,
today when i tested again, same thing i got 5ppm after 5min then couple hours later 12ppm (which is the next color match after 5)
So which is correct? the reading after 5min!
Both the Red Sea Nitrate and Nitrate Pro kits I have both say wait 9 min. Perhaps your kit is not a USA kit and is a bit different???

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay in response
This is what the instructions on my test kit

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 9.28.12 PM.png

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nyos kit. Read the value when it says to.

What an Idiot I am, all along i thought i had Red Sea and after you mentioned and looked thru my email of order and there i see its nyos. Becaz i don't have boxes of any of them, I used Milwaukee 10 compartment organizer for all the test kits and stuff and labeled accordingly, may be my label should include the brand too for future.
Thanks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back