RedSea Refractometer deviation

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday i did a partial water change and today i measured the salinity. To my surprise it showed SG 1.030. I thought it must be wrong so i re-calibrated it with .35 PPT solution and tried again. My water turns out to be also .35, which i'm fine with.

It has happened three times that the refractometer was way off just like this. I have had it for like 8 months to measure my water.

For this test i used a brand new pipet for the aquarium water. My refractometer is stored in normal room temperature, and there was no delay in measuring. I also re-calibrated it using a new pipet.

I always clean the refractometer after each use.

Is it normal to have such way-off-readings after only 8 months? I dunno how many times i have used it, but a guess would be less than 40 times.

Do you think three times failure in this period is reason enough to send it back and call it faulty? Because i find this whole thing annoying :) It's a Red Sea refractometer which costed just over EUR 70.

Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines the same.. I constantly doubt its readings and I am always readjusting the setting.
crap, is my oppinion…

I now use a TM hydrometer the one about 10” long..no lies with that..
Thanks! I'm looking to get a better one, and that one you suggested seems like it's much better :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back