Redsea XL200 - Pregaming a build

Waterbourn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to move about 2 years ago and broke my 125 gallon down. I am getting the itch to get back in the hobby especially after getting back on this forum and visiting my local LFS recently. I want to a smaller tank this time and not got completely DIY like my last tank. I have pretty much decided on the Red Sea XL200 and keep that 24" footprint. I love reading everyone's builds and have spent hours reading the threads. Based on what I have read this is what I have been leaning towards for a build. Before I pull the trigger and start collecting all this stuff, I wanted to get some opinions.

I think I want to just go with the Ecotech ecosystem (although do people mix and match with out any problems when trying to control things from one source/app?)

Lights
Radion Xr15 x2 or Xr30 x1 ?? - I have seen both options look viable, but any opinions or experience? - The ecotech mounting arm works with the XL200 tank? Still have not decided on blue vs pro?

Powerhead -
2 x MP10 - This stays in the ecotech family although the nero 3 x 2 looks like it gets great recommendations. It would just be a different ecosytem, but worth it?

Return pump -
Vectra S2 - is this plug and play with the tank or it needs some additional parts?

Skimmer -
Nyos 120 looks like one that comes up the most. I have a reef octopus 202 from my previous tank but guessing it would be way to big?

Live rock
What is the realistic lbs you are putting in this tank?
My last tank I went the dry rock route, but was thinking about just buying some cured rock from the LFS. Have had really bad luck doing this?

Sand - a 20 lb bag would get an inch in this tank?

I have an APEX control system from my last tank. Hopeing i could still use some features and maybe even automate dosing when i get to that point.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to move about 2 years ago and broke my 125 gallon down. I am getting the itch to get back in the hobby especially after getting back on this forum and visiting my local LFS recently. I want to a smaller tank this time and not got completely DIY like my last tank. I have pretty much decided on the Red Sea XL200 and keep that 24" footprint. I love reading everyone's builds and have spent hours reading the threads. Based on what I have read this is what I have been leaning towards for a build. Before I pull the trigger and start collecting all this stuff, I wanted to get some opinions.

I think I want to just go with the Ecotech ecosystem (although do people mix and match with out any problems when trying to control things from one source/app?)

Lights
Radion Xr15 x2 or Xr30 x1 ?? - I have seen both options look viable, but any opinions or experience? - The ecotech mounting arm works with the XL200 tank? Still have not decided on blue vs pro?

Powerhead -
2 x MP10 - This stays in the ecotech family although the nero 3 x 2 looks like it gets great recommendations. It would just be a different ecosytem, but worth it?

Return pump -
Vectra S2 - is this plug and play with the tank or it needs some additional parts?

Skimmer -
Nyos 120 looks like one that comes up the most. I have a reef octopus 202 from my previous tank but guessing it would be way to big?

Live rock
What is the realistic lbs you are putting in this tank?
My last tank I went the dry rock route, but was thinking about just buying some cured rock from the LFS. Have had really bad luck doing this?

Sand - a 20 lb bag would get an inch in this tank?

I have an APEX control system from my last tank. Hopeing i could still use some features and maybe even automate dosing when i get to that point.
Like the Red Sea XL200.

Just on reefer's opinion...

Please research EcoTech's Mobius app (on Reef 2 Reef) before diving all in. Thinking it still has a lot of bugs with a lot of unhappy customers... :(
If you feel good after your research... ;Bookworm, then pull the trigger.

Go with the Tropic Eden Reef Flakes for your sandbed.

Still on Apex Classic and it's still very useful, just make sure you buy new probes.

Most Reefer's are using less rock per gallon than we use to and put more bio-media like Siporax into their sump to help gas of nitrates.

Good luck!!

:)

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the XL200 setup for roughly 3 months now, and it has been the perfect size for me at this moment. Recently added Apex (still tightening up all the cords), and 3 Versa Pumps- only using 2, for two part at the moment.

As far as lighting goes... I think the XR30Pro would have been the better choice for me. I want a top and mid level shelf of SPS and Im not sure Ill get the best light penetration from myXR15Pro - guess I need to rent or buy a par meter before I make any changes.

Attachments

• 64315553021__2F8B494E-C299-46BB-909C-40B01FF6D69B.jpeg
    64315553021__2F8B494E-C299-46BB-909C-40B01FF6D69B.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 64393774062__D39B5B05-0C0B-4D61-B9F6-94278910D6E7.jpg
    64393774062__D39B5B05-0C0B-4D61-B9F6-94278910D6E7.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 76

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back