Reduced Ciproflaxcin dosage for Haddonis?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cet98
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cet98

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Messages
267
Reaction score
121
Location
Home by the Sea
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good success in the past with my Giganteas using OrionN’s recommended dosage of 250ml/10 gallons in the past.
Unfortunately the same can’t be said for me when dosing the same amount for my Haddonis.
I have lost a few of them during treatment unfortunately and couldn’t understand as I was under the impression that Gigantea were more sensitive and Haddonis somewhat hardier.
After some poking around the internet I came across a couple of references suggesting that Haddonis are actually significantly more sensitive to antibiotics than Gigs.

I have now reduced my dosage to 125ml/10 gallons and after three days in, it seems that my new Haddonis are taking the treatment much more successfully.
Deflating at night with lights out after dosage and then fully expanded during daylight hours.

Is there any truth to this experience I am having right now or am I just “lucky” for the moment?

Thanks for any insight and advice 👍🏼
 
I haven’t tried cipro with any other nems but the reduced dose has worked well for me with haddonis. I’ve even gone slightly stronger (10% stronger or so) and noticed no ill effects, but I haven’t gone with the same dosage as recommended for gigs or mags
 
IME treating both, gigs are typically sick when imported and most require treatment and It's typically the opposite for haddoni, so from this my hypothesis is that haddoni are the hardier species since one can assume that they're both handled in the say me way throughout the supply chain. That said, once a haddoni shows signs of being sick, I haven't been able to save any of them. They typically go on a downhill spiral quicker and there's no way to stop it. And just so I can contradict myself, maybe we don't many sick haddoni is because they die at the wholesaler after that quick downhill spiral (which I doubt since we see so many of them).

I think starting with the half dose of 125ml is totally fine if the haddoni is responding favoribly. That's assuming that the haddoni is even responding to the antibiotic instead of assuming that the haddoni is able to acclimate on its own (though at this point given the number of documented cases of successful treatment just on R2R alone we can deduce that the antibiotic does actually work).

I definitely think a lot of luck is involved when treating anemones. The point at which we receive an anemone and the condition its in really just comes down to... luck.
 
IME treating both, gigs are typically sick when imported and most require treatment and It's typically the opposite for haddoni, so from this my hypothesis is that haddoni are the hardier species since one can assume that they're both handled in the say me way throughout the supply chain. That said, once a haddoni shows signs of being sick, I haven't been able to save any of them. They typically go on a downhill spiral quicker and there's no way to stop it. And just so I can contradict myself, maybe we don't many sick haddoni is because they die at the wholesaler after that quick downhill spiral (which I doubt since we see so many of them).

I think starting with the half dose of 125ml is totally fine if the haddoni is responding favoribly. That's assuming that the haddoni is even responding to the antibiotic instead of assuming that the haddoni is able to acclimate on its own (though at this point given the number of documented cases of successful treatment just on R2R alone we can deduce that the antibiotic does actually work).

I definitely think a lot of luck is involved when treating anemones. The point at which we receive an anemone and the condition its in really just comes down to... luck.
That’s a really good point @D-Nak…
My recent experience with Haddonis has been a crapshoot for the most part as well.
They have all been purchased shortly after they were received and were at best, drip acclimated but most likely just temp acclimated and certainly not treated with antibiotics.
I have tried the standard temp/drip acclimation where they live for days or weeks, deflating, inflating and eventually declining to it’s demise as well as the 250ml/10gal cipro treatment where the nem almost immediately goes downhill and deteriorates rather quickly.
This experience has led me to believe the possibility of their sensitivity to antibiotics may have been my cause of failure using cipro treatment as suggested for giganteas.
With my current specimens seemingly doing well with the reduced dosage, I am hopeful that this may help my success rate today and in the future.
I do agree with you that there is definitely a “luck” factor to this and I also believe that size matters in this case.
Most of my successes have been with larger specimens as opposed to smaller ones.

With that said, my new blue Haddoni (currently in treatment) while taking to treatment well, does appear to be losing some of its color around the mouth area which I have read elsewhere to be a possible side effect of their sensitivity to antibiotics but I’ll update it’s status as the days progress.

On the other hand, my unknown carpet (Gigantea/Haddoni hybrid?) currently in treatment is doing extremely well during the process.

May luck be on my side 🙏🏼
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new