Reducing flow at night for SPS?

In your SPS dominated reef tank, do you reduce flow at night?

  • Reduce flow!

    Votes: 113 36.6%
  • Full blast all night long!

    Votes: 196 63.4%

  • Total voters
    309
I agree oceans are generally calmer at night. I'm no expert, but I've heard this from multiple sources over the years, and recently while spending time in Hawaii, I heard the same thing. Early mornings are a good time to dive, partly for that reason.
I reduce flow by 50% at night in my tanks because I want the corals to have a slightly easier time feeding. Their polyps come out full length and I want the water to be a little calmer so they have a better chance to grab food.
I have no idea if it makes a noticeable difference, but like lot's of things in this hobby, it's just something I do and I want to be consistent so I'll keep doing it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 19.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 34 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new