Reef Aquarium Fact #123 Don't skimp on water changes, were all guilty of this, new and old.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #123

Don't skimp on water changes, were all guilty of this, new and old. They are the most effective way to eliminate waste from your tank and replace trace elements. Skimmers, carbon, gfo, vodka, filters, nothing does a better job at keeping your reef happy and thriving more than water changes. No single piece equipment can ensure a reef tanks longevity better than a hobbyist who religiously does water changes.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never been consistent until now and I am flat amazed at my tank to be honest.

I used to have green film one day after I scraped the glass. Since stepping up the water changes and care I don't even get green film. After a few days I will start to get a film but hardly noticeable at all and I just use a magnet cleaner to clean it right off. Haven't touched the razor blade scraper in a long time! :D

laynframe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably catch hell but i do a water a change about 3 times a year. I do a 20 percent change which is 20 gals. I run bio pellets and a over sized skimmer, and i scape my glass once a week maybe. also I have no cleaning crew to speak of. I call it my freak of nature tank because my sps and zoas and palys thrive in it. I do dose mag, vit c and have a cal reactor but thats it. i had a bigger tank i did water changes on every 2 weeks and i had more problems with that tank than i do with my new one...go figure.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's more than I use to do! Lol!

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree! Keeping replacement water with as consistant parameters as possible every time and warmed to the same temperature as the tank before going in has made all the difference for me.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am doing a water change today!

The easier you make it the more inclined you will be to getting it done and the healthier your tank will be.

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to do water changes weekly sometimes biweekly. Most often weekly. Lately I've been doing 20 gallon water changes weekly to help battle my cyano issue. I think I might have got it licked this time. We'll see at the end of the day just before lights out. I hope so. Tired of seeing that stuff.

MattinIdaho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cut back to 25 gallons every four weeks in a 180. I used to do 20 gallons every week in my 120 and my parameters would jump around a bit. This go round my parameters have been very steady and all corals seem very happy to me. What I'm looking for the most is consistency and this is working for me.

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes a BIG difference for me if I don't change my water. I had become lazy about it over the last few years, and my 120 and 400 gallon tanks suffered greatly...enough that I took the 400 gallon down and sold it. It just got to be too expensive in this lousy economy to do water changes frequently on that volume of water. Once I started doing 10-20% water changes on my 120, all of the problems I was having with algae and coral losses disappeared after being consistent for 3 months. There are some reefers in my local club that maybe change their water 1-2 times per YEAR, and their tanks have always looked awesome -- total hands off approach. I've never had that kind of success unless I constantly tend to the tank.

Also, since I do TWO part dosing, the salinity tends to creep up after a month or so of no water changes due to the addition of -chloride based salts (MgCl and CaCl), so, I find that this keeps it in check.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back