Reef Aquarium Fact #143 Do not add any supplements to your aquarium that you cannot test for. Wacth

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #143

Do not add any supplements to your aquarium that you cannot test for. Always make sure that there are test kits available as there are a lot of "snake oil" products out there.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

snakeoil.jpg

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but I'm curious about miracle mud. People that use it have good result and I doubt the test for ever little thing. It is loaded with elements suck as copper so how is that possible? Copper is deadly to inverts. I use it for a few years and had great color and healthy but never tested for any of it. Does anyone have that answer.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and No, some tests are fairly simple and somewhat accurate, but can anyone here tell me with certainty, testing for Iodine, Magnesium, Potassium are accurate? and if yes did they try using two different makes of the test kits to see if there is a difference. Even Salifert back in the day had problems with a simple alk kit. There fore my advice is. As a beginner grow simple corals, till you develop a 5th sense almost and just by looking at your tank you can tell if something is out of balance. Do water changes more often. Of course there is many people that would say you don’t need Iodine or Potassium, I am not one of those people, my personal opinion is even with massive water changes over time some ions deplete and need to be dosed, dose small amounts and look for a positive change, wait and see, if the corals don’t like it don’t dose :) as simple as that :)

so2.jpg
so3.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back