Reef Aquarium Facts #44 Acclimating relationship between NH3 and NH4

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #44

There is a relationship that is sometimes overlooked in acclimation between NH3 and NH4. When corals are shipped and organic matter (sponges, detritus, etc) starts to rot, ammonia levels increase and pH decreases (causing more free H+ ions in water). When a coral is acclimated to a normal system with a higher pH, these free floating H+ ions rapidly connect with NH3 and create NH4, which is a much more dangerous form. In fact an increase of one pH unit will increase the NH4 concentration about 10-fold! Some professional systems will acclimate new arrivals with low pH water until the NH3 levels are removed, and then switch over to system water

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject. ;)

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is some truth to this. shipping time plays a huge roll as does type of livestock.
some sensitive fish seem to be worse than corals.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe that it will have too much of an effect on ammonia. As you increase pH, you are also increasing water volume.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some truth to this, I have read in a couple books that the best acclimating method for corals is to only temp acclimate them then introduce them to the system with "healthier" water quickly...supposedly puts much less stress on the coral. I've actually used the method before and had no problems either.

Please don't hate on me just repeating what I read in the book.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still prefer to drip acclimate, I have two tanks, both at the same temp, but with varying parameters. I was redoing my aquascape about 6 months ago before I upgraded my tank. I put a piece of lr with gsp attached in the other tank accidently, and it died overnight by the time I found it.

Ostentum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I guess that explains why when I first started in this hobby I did the temp acclimate 15 min, then 1/2 bag of system water 15 min, dump 1/2 and add another 1/2 then release. I wondered why for awhile that never quite worked and loss rate was much greater, then when I switched to the drip acclimation. I have yet to lose a coral with drip acclimation, if the piece wasnt already RTNing from shipping. I guess with the drip technique there is more time for the corals to deal with rising NH4 levels as compared to the rapid influx of NH4 with the other acclimating techniques. Also I would think that only using temp acclimation would have an increased loss rate, because I figure that Alk shock, ph shock, etc would cause greater stress on the coral than rising NH4. Just my thoughts, but will be following others opinions and thoughts.

slice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test the bag water and adjust the acclimation procedure accordingly.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 72 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 9.0%
Back