Reef Breeders Photon settings

BRS

Rgentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I could really use some assistance with getting my photon setup. Can anyone recommend settings for peak daytime levels? I’ve nuked a few frags now and could use someone who has experience with the light. It’s a lot more to figure out than T5s that we’re either on, or off . For reference, Im going for a more natural look as opposed to something that is super blue

Fritz

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
These are really powerful lights. A par meter would be your best friend. To give you an idea. I run a max intensity of 45% on channels 3,5,6 and channels 4 at 14%. I find running channel 4 at about 1/3rd of 3,5,6 doesn’t give it too much of a blue look. At this intensity with the lights mounted 14 inches above the water line I get 100 par on the sand bed. Tank height is about 29 inches. There’s several variables that would determine your par goals. My tank will house Softies and LPS. No need to blast them too much. Brs did a video on these light also. It’s worth a watch.

OP
R

Rgentry

View Badges
Reaction score
I may have had a combination of issues then. My lights were only about 8” off the water surface on a 24” deep tank and some of my blues were initially running close to 80%. I think I may have found the reason I nuked some of my corals….

Avast
BRS

Have you ever had a Angelfish in your reef tank?

• Yes and it was a model citizen (tell us which one)

Votes: 146 32.6%
  • Yes but it did nip from time to time

Votes: 62 13.8%
  • Yes but I had to remove it because it went rogue

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • No but I would like to try one

Votes: 130 29.0%
  • No and not interested

Votes: 62 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 3.8%
Santa Monica Filtration