*Reef Breeders Photon v2 and T5 installation, testing, and review*

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to say thank you for all the information on the photon v2! I'm strongly considering picking up one for my tank. Do you have any updates on them, Jason? Also have you heard about the new lumen bars reef breeders came out with to supplement the v2's? Those are basically actinic light from what I understand. Do you think adding T5's or the lumen bars would be more beneficial?

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to say thank you for all the information on the photon v2! I'm strongly considering picking up one for my tank. Do you have any updates on them, Jason? Also have you heard about the new lumen bars reef breeders came out with to supplement the v2's? Those are basically actinic light from what I understand. Do you think adding T5's or the lumen bars would be more beneficial?
Still working out great. Love them. I do need to swap out my t5s. I prefer the colors of t5 and color combo will be personal preference.

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounting in the Canopy with the T5's:

Got a late start and finished this up around 3am. Family time first...

Getting things lined up and marked where some pilot holes need to go
0c54080291f189ba057167df972ec9e5.jpg

Nice stainless steel eyelets and stainless steel snap rings. Notice the size difference and will tilt the fixtures inward
01fe7c8852921efddaa6fcdd80edd340.jpg

Getting them in the canopy and back on the tank...sucker was heavy! Should have been a team lift. lol
c532405c2bf4c6adf3a6de00a299c524.jpg

T5s back in and ready to go. If I want less angle I'll break out some zip ties
213549dc6fc27177ef76011d7598c5a9.jpg

Excited to fire them up tomorrow...just hope they all light up. Then will get some par measurements. I'll probably start at 15% max each fixture and see where that's at and go from there.

Now to figure out the remote and programming.

Hi @jason2459...
I have two 120Gs (48 X 24 X 25), and I've purchased one 48" Reef Breeders Photon V2+ for each of them. I noticed that you have double stacked yours so that you have two rows of the Photon V2s on one tank.
Is that the recommended set-up ? I didn't realize that I needed to get a second light for each of my 120Gs. Is a single row of Photon V2+ not sufficient to get the PAR required for healthy coral growth on a 24" wide tank ?
Not being antagonistic, just trying to figure out if I've missed something in my understanding about this lighting scenario.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single row would probably be fine. My goal was to get some good blending and have those t5s down the middle. I've also succeeded in being able to run the percentages on the leds low which runs them really cool and should extend their life.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back