Reef chemistry causeing issues possibly?

Rockedash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing tests on my tank and it came back with my alk at 17dkh and my calcium was 500
all my others are normal with ammonia and nitrate at 0 and nitrite at 10

Im not really sure what to do i have been dosing reef carbonate to my tank twice a week to boost growth of the corals i have and i think that doing that is the issue because im probably not experienced enough to be messing around with that stuff yet

Both my gsp open up and both my riccordea mushrooms do aswell but they have both shrunk. But i have had issues with every zoanthid i own with most pollups not opening and im not sure if that is because my hermit crab is bothjering trhem or if its my fault with the chemistry.

Im really not sure to do right now my research has told me to do a bunch of stuff but not sure what i should do exactly

Thank you for the help and sorry for the stupid question

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing tests on my tank and it came back with my alk at 17dkh and my calcium was 500

Im not really sure what to do i have been dosing reef carbonate to my tank twice a week to boost growth of the corals i have and i think that doing that is the issue because im probably not experienced enough to be messing around with that stuff yet

Both my gsp open up and both my riccordea mushrooms do aswell but they have both shrunk. But i have had issues with every zoanthid i own with most pollups not opening and im not sure if that is because my hermit crab is bothjering trhem or if its my fault with the chemistry.

Im really not sure to do right now my research has told me to do a bunch of stuff but not sure what i should do exactly

Reef carbonate? you got a pic of it? Sounds like you need to stop adding it until your Alkalinity comes down, even then, there are DIY alkalinity additives you could use cheaply.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is too low for a calcium reactor effluent. I'm not sure how you could get alk that elevated dosing the Sea Chem product with 500ppm Calcium at the same time? Should be a snow storm in that tank.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Stop dosing!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stop dosing!

Your 10% weekly water changes will bring it down to more natural levels over time.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 115 77.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back