Reef Chemistry Help

neotactical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon system that has been up and running for about 18 months. I've been struggling since the 1 year mark to get Nitratre and Phosphate in check. Nitrates are consistently 0 via Hanna Checker HR and Hanna Checker Phosphates ULR fluctuate between .06-.10

In the past month or so I've developed a bit of a hair algae issue. Just popping up in certain areas, but becoming annoying. I do have some pincushion urchins coming to help combat the hair algae. Is it possible the hair algae is consuming all of the nitrates, hence the reading of 0? If so, will getting rid of the hair algae with the help of the urchin redirect the nitrates to the reef in a positive way?

Suggestions on what to do?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd personally look to herbivores to deal with the algae and try to raise nitrate to prevent a worse problem: dinos (assuming the nitrate is accurate).

Feeding more or dosing sodium nitrate are good options.

OP
OP
neotactical

neotactical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I've been feeding pretty heavy as it is. I don't want phoshpates to rise as they are already fluctuating higher than .05
What nitrate would you recommend dosing?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon system that has been up and running for about 18 months. I've been struggling since the 1 year mark to get Nitratre and Phosphate in check. Nitrates are consistently 0 via Hanna Checker HR and Hanna Checker Phosphates ULR fluctuate between .06-.10

In the past month or so I've developed a bit of a hair algae issue. Just popping up in certain areas, but becoming annoying. I do have some pincushion urchins coming to help combat the hair algae. Is it possible the hair algae is consuming all of the nitrates, hence the reading of 0? If so, will getting rid of the hair algae with the help of the urchin redirect the nitrates to the reef in a positive way?

Suggestions on what to do?
Do nothing. Why do you think you have a problem?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back