Reef Chemistry Puzzle #7

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2014
Messages
91,609
Reaction score
96,690
Location
Massachusetts, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not because if you heat water enough it will Turn to steam and that’s a physical Change
 
I was thinkiwater as well but pretty hard to drink boiling water so I'm going to say air.
 
Acidity (not pH) is not changed by temperature and since H+ and OH- will react with almost all elements and I guess that would probably affect their ratio and thus acidity. But what about the noble gases? They wouldn’t react with H+ or OH- so I have no idea.
 
I'm going to guess Oxygen! Highly reactive. Forms various compounds like H2O, NO3, CO3, SO4, CO2, O3, etc. and then forms organic compounds like alcohols, ketones, carboxylic acids and aldehydes.

It exists as a gas so temperature increases will not impact it.
 
Salinity?
 
Salinity?

It has an inverse relationship to temperature.

1701554262482.gif
 
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) - all elements contribute to it and temperature has no effect
 
1701564560059.png


TDS is directly related to temperature.

That's why lab TDS meters have automatic temperature compensation.
 
That is conductivity which can be correlated to TDS imperfectly and is affected by temperature. We use it because it is a simple test and works well enough for our purposes. True TDS which would be measured by evaporated solids weight is not affected by temperature.

TDS is the concentration of solids in the water. It is not affected by temperature any more than any other mass or weight measurement.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new