Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #204 Alkalinity Testing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #204

Which of the following is the way that an ordinary alkalinity test kit works?

1. There is a dye in the test that binds to bicarbonate and which gives a different color when bound in that way. You add acid, which converts the bicarbonate into CO2, which doesn't bind to the dye, and hence the color changes when all the bicarbonate is used up this way.

2. There is a dye in the test that binds to carbonate and which gives a different color when bound in that way. You add acid, which converts the carbonate into CO2, which doesn't bind to the dye, and hence the color changes when all the carbonate is used up this way.

3. There is a dye in the test that can bind to a proton (H+) when enough protons are present in solution, and which gives a different color when bound in that way. You add acid (H+), which converts the dye to a different color. When you have added enough H+ to bind to a sufficient number of the dye molecules, the color changes and you are done.

4. There is a dye in the test that can bind to hydroxide ions (OH-) when enough hydroxide ions are present in solution, and which gives a different color when bound in that way. You add acid (H+), which reduces the amount of OH- in the water, removing OH- from the dye, and which converts the dye to a different color. When you have added enough H+ to unbind a sufficient number of the dye molecules from OH-, the color changes and you are done.

Good luck!

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea of the correct answer, but I do have a related question...

I've always wondered if it's coincidence that alkalinity tests start blue and end red, and calcium tests start red and end blue. Always made me wonder if inverse reactions are happening...

EDIT: Okay, I'm not going to say I have no idea. My guess is #4 but this is based more on putting small pieces of information and hunches together and strategy for taking multiple choice tests than actually having any idea what happens when I add those drops haha.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add 1ml of HI755-26 to 10ml of aquarium water, invert a few times and stick the curvete back into the meter... what do I win?

You win if you tell me which of the processes in 1-4 happened during your inverting. lol

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea of the correct answer, but I do have a related question...

I've always wondered if it's coincidence that alkalinity tests start blue and end red, and calcium tests start red and end blue. Always made me wonder if inverse reactions are happening...
Entirely different dyes, reagents, pH range, and chemistry involved.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the dye changes when the ph drops to a certain number around 4.5 depending on color of dye?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the dye changes when the ph drops to a certain number around 4.5 depending on color of dye?

Assuming that's correct, which answer fits that? :)

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1: keyword " bicarbonate"= your buffering ability.

3&4 appear to be pH related and 2, carbonates does not buffer. I will read it again but want to answer one if these things. Way cool Randy

CircleCityBill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...option 3 appears to best describe the chemistry that causes a shift in the equilibria between the dissociated and protonated forms of the indicators causing a color change, but missing is any description of the chemistry associated with the titration...and I assume an "ordinary" test kit utilizes a tritration.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back