Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #210 Limewater/Kalkwasser Long Term Use

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to vote for D; my understanding is that kalkwasser is a balanced supplement regarding calcium and alkalinity, and that corals take them up in equal amounts as well so I would expect the calcium to remain stable as the alkalinity is stable. Since there is no magnesium replacement and you can get some magnesium precipitation, that should slowly decline. You aren't going to get hydroxide buildup as it converts to bicarbonate or carbonate.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to vote for D; my understanding is that kalkwasser is a balanced supplement regarding calcium and alkalinity, and that corals take them up in equal amounts as well so I would expect the calcium to remain stable as the alkalinity is stable. Since there is no magnesium replacement and you can get some magnesium precipitation, that should slowly decline. You aren't going to get hydroxide buildup as it converts to bicarbonate or carbonate.
You shoud read about one of the reasons why Randy prefered basic Instant Ocean for his salt. ;)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shoud read about one of the reasons why Randy prefered basic Instant Ocean for his salt. ;)

I would also like to see this because I use only Kalk and IO. Seems to be doing really well.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to see this because I use only Kalk and IO. Seems to be doing really well.
Ah well, many of the threads that come up asking for "BEST" and "SALT" and such may have it in there. Along with one of his articles.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah well, many of the threads that come up asking for "BEST" and "SALT" and such may have it in there. Along with one of his articles.

I'm sure I have seen it a few times in that case, doesn't however ring a bell.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well from what ive put together over a while, is if your dosing kalk only. Your calcium usually rises because the incorporation of mag in the skeleton lol

And other uses of carbonates beyond calcification that don't involve Ca. Randy makes all of this quite clear in his well written articles.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back