Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #210 Limewater/Kalkwasser Long Term Use

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #210

Suppose that you have a coral reef aquarium where you dose limewater (kalkwasser) daily to replace most of the evaporated water. You have adjusted the concentration of dry solid calcium hydroxide added to the freshwater so that the aquarium maintains an alkalinity of 8 dKH as measured with a Salifert test kit.

You experience a daily pH range from 8.0 to 8.2, and you perform no water changes and use no other additives.

Which of the following will likely happen long term (weeks to months)? List all that apply.

A. Calcium will slowly rise
B. Calcium will slowly fall
C. Magnesium will slowly rise
D. Magnesium will slowly fall
E. The true carbonate alkalinity will slowly decline as it is replaced by hydroxide alkalinity
F. The true carbonate alkalinity remains unchanged but the total alkalinity increases due to accumulation of hydroxide

Good luck!

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OHHH- cant wait to see what the correct answers are. IMO - likely B, D and don't know about E,F. Since I run my system close to this scenario - (just add mag per testing results ever few weeks) - I will follow along.

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D based on the magnesium usage by the tank inhabitants. This in my understanding is because magnesium is only slightly affected by Kalk, but the true decline is caused by usage not a chemical reaction. But I could be completely wrong.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you absolutely don't know go with D

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D based on the magnesium usage by the tank inhabitants. This in my understanding is because magnesium is only slightly affected by Kalk, but the true decline is caused by usage not a chemical reaction. But I could be completely wrong.

I see your 'D' and raise you an 'A'. Because: if Mg++ is taken up by the coral in place of the Ca++, then as Mg++ is slowly depleted, Ca++ will slowly accumulate.

Therefore: A and D.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say D is the answer. I don't know if my "Red Sea test kit " responds to hydroxide and or true carbonate . I do know The Mg drops over time . However our Master Chemist mentions a selifert kit, which I suspect is significant. The plot thickens !

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back