Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #220 Which Methods Add Trace Elements?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #220

Which of the following methods used in reef aquaria DO NOT add ANY trace elements to the aquarium? List all that you think apply.

A. Growing macroalgae
B. Using GFO (granular ferric oxide) to bind phosphate
C. Using aluminum oxide to bind phosphate
D. Using a UV steriliizer
E. Feeding brine shrimp
F. Boosting calcium with commercially available calcium chloride
G. Boosting alkalinity with Arm & Hammer Baking soda
H. Using a calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactor

Good luck!

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go with D.
Since Photons and radiation aren't for sure trace elements and as Lavoisier stated the most it can do its transform something that it's already there, so it's not a addition.
As per the rest perhaps some day the trace elements list shall include something that they leech... :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...

Which of the following methods used in reef aquaria DO NOT add ANY trace elements to the aquarium? List all that you think apply.

A. Growing macroalgae

D. Using a UV sterilizer

Neither of these methods can add elements to the water. Bear in mind what the definition of a "trace element" is. Key is the word element, such as calcium or carbon (although neither of those qualify as "trace" in seawater. The word element does not distinguish the forms these elements take, so vodka (ethanol) and vinegar (acetic acid) involve exactly the same elements (C, H, O).

Growing macroalgae can remove trace elements (such as iron) and modify them (carbon, nitrogen, etc.), but not add them.
A UV sterilizer can modify the chemistry of elements passing through it, but neither adds nor removes trace elements.

All of the others can add trace elements. Remember that no chemical is completely pure, so there are trace elements in any chemical that you can buy.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...

A. Growing macroalgae

D. Using a UV sterilizer

Neither of these methods can add elements to the water. Bear in mind what the definition of a "trace element" is. Key is the word element, such as calcium or carbon (although neither of those qualify as "trace" in seawater. The word element does not distinguish the forms these elements take, so vodka (ethanol) and vinegar (acetic acid) involve exactly the same elements (C, H, O).

Growing macroalgae can remove trace elements (such as iron) and modify them (carbon, nitrogen, etc.), but not add them.
A UV sterilizer can modify the chemistry of elements passing through it, but neither adds nor removes trace elements.

All of the others can add trace elements. Remember that no chemical is completely pure, so there are trace elements in any chemical that you can buy.
I believed that growing macroalgae added carbohydrates, as well as aminos, vitamins & enzymes to the water?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believed that growing macroalgae added carbohydrates, as well as aminos, vitamins & enzymes to the water?

It might. All of those are organic molecules, but the elements forming those (C, H, N, O, etc.) must have come out of the water to begin with. :)

No organism can change the elements themselves. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It might. All of those are organic molecules, but the elements forming those (C, H, N, O, etc.) must have come out of the water to begin with. :)

No organism can change the elements themselves. :)

AH - I interpreted it to be as bacteria and algae die in the UV, trace elements will be released - but they must have come from the water as well. (Iron for example) - ditto if parts of chaeto is dying

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...

A. Growing macroalgae

D. Using a UV sterilizer

that's what I was gonna say.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AH - I interpreted it to be as bacteria and algae die in the UV, trace elements will be released - but they must have come from the water as well. (Iron for example) - ditto if parts of chaeto is dying

I can see how you might interpret it that way. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now answer the bleach one lol. My daughter searched it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back