Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #233 Purigen Binds Which Inorganic Ions?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #233

Which of the following can bind directly to Purigen, based on Seachem's description of the product and how it works? List all that you believe can bind.

Seachem says:

" HyperSorb is an ion exchange resin, while Purigen has properties of both a scavenging and ion exchange resin. These products are anionic"

A. Phosphate
B. Nitrate
C. Calcium
D. Magnesium
E. Sodium
F. Chloride

Good luck!

SEMA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C,d,e,f? Just a guess. Mostly because i wanna know the true answer and why/how?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would have to be C, D, E - but Purigen's paperwork states that it has little effect on elements or metals. Mostly organics.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would have to be C, D, E - but Purigen's paperwork states that it has little effect on elements or metals. Mostly organics.

Yes, I've seen no data to support their assertion, but I'm not claiming the amounts are high or low, just that it happens. :)

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, C, D, and E are all cations. It would reduce NO3 because it can bind to NH4 before it breaks down, but that's a secondary process.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on this:

Purigen® is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer

And this:

Unlike other products on the market which are simple ion-exchange resins, Purigen® is specifically designed to be an organic scavenging resin. When ion-exchange resins are filled to capacity by metals and other contaminants, Purigen® has barely begun to reach its potential. Purigen® generally ignores simple elemental compounds, having an extreme affinity for nitrogenous organics.

I would say:

None of the above.

(Sounds like it functions a bit like GAC, tbh.)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...

Which of the following can bind directly to Purigen, based on Seachem's description of the product and how it works? List all that you believe can bind.

Seachem says:

" HyperSorb is an ion exchange resin, while Purigen has properties of both a scavenging and ion exchange resin. These products are anionic"

C. Calcium
D. Magnesium
E. Sodium

An anionic polymer has a negative charge on it and it will bind to all positively charged ions to some extent. Seachem suggests it is provided as the sodium salt, and some of the sodium will swap for other positively charged ions. Seachem claims it is not primarily an ion exchange resin but rather one that binds organic matter. They do not reveal exactly what the polymer is, but it could be any number of different anionic and likely partly hydrophobic polymers. Crosslinked polystyrene sulfonate, for example, or a copolymer of it.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back