Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta tell you...
The giant Kenya tree does not scare me but the giant carpet does.

When it feels like spreading out, it's well over 18 inches wide. It can reach up over half way to the surface while still being firmly planted on the tank bottom.

I've lost thousands of dollars in livestock to that carpet over the years but it's so beautiful that I don't have the heart to get rid of if.

I just check the tank every morning and hope all my fish have remembered to stay away from the beautiful killer.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool.
How's the rubble working out for you?
For me, I think I will have corals on the exposed flat surfaces. I tried to buld the structures with that idea in mind. I just hope time will cover up the lines where the rocks are stacked.

Right now it like like an old Roman column.

Rubble is actually working out great. I’ll pm you a picture if that’s ok, I could use some feedback but I don’t want to hijack your thread.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did my carpet decide to take a walk last night?
He has the strength to easily knock over ANYTHING in the tank. He decided to leave the corner he's been in and walk toward the new pillar/arch. I hope he does not knock it down. If he does, I will have to rearrange the tank (again).

More to come when I get home from work and see what he's done since this morning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carpet is slowly working his way towards the front of the tank.
All I can do is wait for him to find a place to settle in and possibly move things around to accommodate.
Pics to come later...

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's still walking to the front of the tank. I don't know what he's doing or where he's going but depending on where he ends up, I will have some rearranging to do.

20181204_174536.jpg

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would really suck if he decides to stay right where he is now because that just won't work for me.

If anyone has any ideas on how to move him to a spot that "I" like and have him stay there, I'm all ears.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @NY_Caveman
The Carpet moved again. He moved a few times over the past 48 hours. He went back to his corner where I want him to be. THEN he moved towards the front of the tank. Then he moved back into his corner.
Last night, I saw him with his foot up and ready to go.
This morning, he has moved towards the weir. The bad part about that is he has moved right up against the brain coral. He's under the rock that houses the BTA right next to the Brain coral and that's a spot where fish usually hang out. Not to mention that I will have to move the corals so he doesn't kill them.

I think what I'm going to do is when he next goes into the corner is stack some rock around him so he feels comfortable in that spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpet is slowly going back to his corner.
I moved the rock and coral he was next to and provided a path for him to go back to the corner. When he gets there, I will place a rock next to / in front of him so he feels secure.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devastating day yesterday.

About two weeks ago, I got a naso tang. I have NOT had good luck with naso gangs and apparently that trend continues.

I got the naso acclimated and placed him in the sump to get used to my water and feeding. I would have placed him in the display in about 2 weeks if he were doing ok and eating.
I noticed my yellow tang had some discoloration.
20181217_181443.jpg

The next day, my PB tang is showing discoloration on his head and he's flashing.
20181217_181902.jpg

Then I see my sailfin tang flashing and scratching his head on the sand. I see a small whitish spot on his head.
20181217_192414.jpg

The next day, all 3 were worse. The yellow started to get cloudy eye and the PB was clearly uncomfortable and twitching.

I have flukes and a bacterial infection!

I purchased a 40 breeder to use as a hospital tank and qt.
I got an Aqueon Quiet flow 75 hob filter (took carbon media out)
Tetra 60gal air pump and air stone.
2 8oz bottles of bio spira (had them on hand)
2 8oz stability (had them on hand)
About 8oz micro bacter7 (had it on hand)

This is a list of the med I got.

Metroplex
Kanaplex
Furan-2
Focus (not a med)
Ruby reef Rally
Copper safe (on the way)
Empty bucket for freshwater dip and/or rally bath.
My plan was...
90 minute bath in ruby reef rally
Then
5 minute freshwater dip
Then
Into qt with the trifecta of meds for 14 days
Then
50% water change
Then
2 rounds of prazipro
Then
50% water change
Then
Copper safe for 30 days
Then
50% water change
Then
Wait it out for 72 day fallow period to be up
Then
Return healthy ich free, fluke free, parasite free fish to display tank which is ich free, fluke free and parasite free from being fallow for 72 days

It did NOT go as planned.

Putting fish in qt tank was a killer.

Bath was 10 gal saltwater with 1oz rally per directions for 75 minutes.
Freshwater dip 5 minutes.
Salinity and temp match.

They were good in the bath and good in the freshwater dip.

Yellow immediately went stiff in qt. Breathing but stiff, fins extended, not moving. Laying on is side.
Naso died within 5 minutes.
PB was good in qt for about 5 to 10 minutes then he was sulking in a corner on the bottom.
Sailfin was swimming but starting to breathe hard. I moved him back to the display.
Purple was swimming but just stopped and just sat still next to the filter intake so I moved him back to display too.

Clown, lionfish and damsels seem fine.

I lost 4 fish.
Yellow tang dead
PB tang dead
Naso tang dead
Purple tang dead

Sailfin is in display doing ok today but yesterday he was not dj'ing well at all.

The carnage...
20181220_134408.jpg
20181220_134607.jpg
20181220_134841.jpg
20181220_134829.jpg

I'm devastated!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back