Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a build thread.
O.k, it's a re-build thread.
I've had this reef tank up and running for 5 years now.
It has taken me on quite a ride. I have dinos that I thought were diatoms for 4 of the 5 years.

I have fine sand in the tank that needs to come out! That's where the dinos primarily live.

I have a beautiful lionfish that is cool all day. I have a large female maroon clown that is a monster.
I have two 3 stripe damsels. One of which is a complete terror in the tank. She won't die and refuses to be caught. The other one is pretty cool for a 3 stripe.
I have a purple tang that is in great shape! Most purples I see have or have had lateral line disease (hole in head HLLE). My purple has not succumb to this and I hope to prevent it.
I have a sailfin tang in the sump at the moment. Is getting used to the tank. It was put in the sump because of a yellow tang (R.I.P.)

I had my yellow tank for 5 years. It was fat, healthy and terrorized any new addition to the tank ESPECIALLY another tang! When I got the new sailfin, it was to replace one that had recently died. After QT, the new tang went into the sump with the idea of introducing him to the display at night after lights while a mirror is on the tank glass. The mirror lets the yellow tang fight itself and gives the new addition a chance to establish itself.

The yellow tang died before I could make this happen.

Dinos started killing corals so I had to do something.
I dosed hydrogen peroxide. That killed the previous sailfin. The fish swam right into the stream of peroxide. It died the next day.

I say all this to explain the reason for the re-build.
Im going to take the old sand out over time, clean and rearrange the rockwork, add some equipment and restart.

If you come along for this ride, welcome! If nobody is interested, this will be documentation for me and a way to keep my progress going.

Me losing my yellow tang got me to re-start this tank and start this thread.

I very much welcome comments, suggestions and advice!

Pics to come...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back then...
20170306_094459.jpg

Before reset
20180812_120646.jpg

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to add Apex controller with 2 Apex Wav pumps.
100lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Sand.
Anything else I should be adding?
Should I get the Live sand or Dry sand?

I'm thinking of completely re-doing my rockwork. If I do, I am leaning towards Tlf Stax 40lbs box.
For now, the stax is only a thought and not really a serious thought.

So, Apex and sand. Anything else?

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud your attention to detail and the corrections taking place Dj City Its kind of like the Six Million Dollar Man. 'Gentlemen we can rebuild it. Stronger, faster than before'.

It looks amazing and thanks for sharing the adventure. I'll be tuned in.

I'm sorry to read of the direct peroxide loss.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud your attention to detail and the corrections taking place Dj City Its kind of like the Six Million Dollar Man. 'Gentlemen we can rebuild it. Stronger, faster than before'.

It looks amazing and thanks for sharing the adventure. I'll be tuned in.

I'm sorry to read of the direct peroxide loss.

Steve Austin the six million dollar man!
Im feeling old by just remembering that show.

I am trying to get it right and correct the errors of the past.
Paying attention to detail is going to be very important but proper planning and having a workable gameplan is a must.

Im working out the gameplan. I've only got pieces of it right now.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on the reset! My opinion is do not go crazy trying to add in to much technology and to use live sand. I look forward to seeing the new progress.

Thank you saintsreturn,
So far, I only have plans to add the Apex, the sand, maybe stax rocks depending on what my existing rock looks like when I pull it.
Im thinking about a sulfur denitrator. I've never used one but heard good things about them.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...

I am making progress. I changed out another 64 gallons of water and removed a few more pounds of sand.

I've ordered Apex controller, 2x Apex Wav pumps, 40lbs Stax rocks, Aquamaxx TS-1 Sulfur Denitrator and an aqualifter to feed the denitrator.

I am thinking about my substrate.
I don't know that I want sand again but I don't want bare bottom.
I am thinking about starboard or possibly making a faux sandbed somehow. Possibly epoxy resin and sand.

Ideas are welcome!

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm questioning the denitrator.
I'm willing to give it a try because I want to feed more than im feeding now and plan on adding more coarl as time moves on.

I hope im not wasting money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex should arrive tomorrow along with the denitrator.

Can I use an old ipad with the apex? Like an ipad mini 1st gen?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i'm going to get a cabinet to mount the Apex. I really have no space under my tank to comfortably mount it.
I should be able to mount the Apex and all my gear in the cabinet and have storage for all my other aquarium "stuff" as well.
I need to figure where I can put it though. I really have no room under the tank or on either side of the tank so this is going to be a challenge.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to lowes, home depot, walmart, target and ross.

I could not find anything I could use as a cabinet for the apex and aquarium gear.

Please give me some ideas.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am totally not handy so I mounted some on the door. Nothing pretty. Would not have done that with a sump though. Maybe you could get creative with a CD rack (remember CDs. LOL). or something slender and possibly angled for other media. Something more like shelving than a rack though.

Similarly, a slender wine holding column.

Or, something like an ottoman with it inside, unless you want the display visible of course.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am totally not handy so I mounted some on the door. Nothing pretty. Would not have done that with a sump though. Maybe you could get creative with a CD rack (remember CDs. LOL). or something slender and possibly angled for other media. Something more like shelving than a rack though.

Similarly, a slender wine holding column.

Or, something like an ottoman with it inside, unless you want the display visible of course.

I don't necessarily want the equipment showing. I would like it all hidden. Especially the food and bottles of "stuff" we as reefers have.
I gotta take a pic of the area so others can better understand what i'm working with.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back