Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whoops is exactly correct!

If I can control my Jeabo DCP 15000 return pump with the Apex to slow it down instead of shutting it off I will have solved my problem (I think).
My hope in this thought is to slow the return enough to prevent food from going straight to the overflow but still have just enough turnover to prevent the U.V. from overflowing the sump.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this whole thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Re-build is progressing.

I have my Apex and Wav pumps all connected, programmed and functioning.
I still have to move my Doser and dose container from under the tank. That should be done sometime this week.
Once that's done, I will set up the Denitrator and get that started.

I have about 2 or 3 more water changes to do to remove the last of the sand. Once that's done the plan is to add about 50lbs of Special Grade sand to the tank.

I need to start building my Stax rockwork. Getting it cycled should be easy and generally quick being that there is NO dead or dying matter on the rock. I should be able to simply throw it in a bin filled with saltwater, a couple of drops of amonia and add some Dr. Tim's one and only OR Bio Spira. Let it cycle for a few days and BAM! Stax rockwork with live bacteria ready to go.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Thanksgiving!
Dosing containers and pumps are moved.
Aquamaxx denitrator is online!
Now I wait for the denitrator to cycle.

New special grade sand is on the way.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress

20181124_091947.jpg
20181124_091629.jpg
20181124_091757.jpg
20181124_091820.jpg

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last pic of the tank as it is now.

20181125_094644.jpg

Bad thing is my bta decided to detach from his small rock and attach to a big one. I really was not trying to keep that rock.
Oh well...
The rebuild continues...

Next pic will be a different everything.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress still being made!

I added 20lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand two days ago. I wanted to add some live sand because I removed ALL the sand and most of the live rock from the tank.
My plan was to add a total of 50 pounds of sand. 20lbs of live sand and 30lbs dry (non live).
When I added the live sand, I was surprised to see it was almost enough. I don't want a deep sand bed. One or two inches at the most.
This is what it looked like with the 20lbs.
20181128_154817.jpg
20181128_154805.jpg

Today, I added 15lbs of the CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand. I removed the large corals from the tank and placed them in a tub with tank water, a heater and a pump for circulation. I have the tub right next to the tank so the corals can get at least a little light from the tank.
1543450501175354414279526837709.jpg

The large rock with the large Kenya tree and the towering rock with the bta remained in the tank along with the carpet anemone and the small rock with the mini maxi carpet.

Adding the 15lbs of sand to the 20lbs I added previously looks absolutely right! Not too much sand and no bare spots.
15434508241494898930294111552125.jpg

I also added 12 capfulls of Seachem Stability.
I have not had a new cycle. Not even a mini cycle but more bacteria can't hurt.
I also have 2 bottles of Bio Spira ready to go when I'm done.

I have a mock up of the tank made so I can hopefully create a new rock scape with the 40lbs of Stax rocks that I have.
1543451139867167191382931478756.jpg

It's going to be interesting for multiple reasons.

1. I am beginning to like the simplicity of the tank the way it is right now.

2. I have to account for the rock that is currently in the tank.

3. I have to build structures that will support the large corals I have in the tub and take into account new corals I will have in the future.

4. Having different types of rocks may not look right. (Stax with the existing rock)

5. Leaving enough open space! I do not want a crowded tank..

As I said, progress is definitely being made but I need to plan this all out.

I wonder how long the corals will be good in the tub?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sulfur denitrator has cycled. Effluent reads 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate.

I'm not turning the drip rate up until I start smelling rotting eggs.
Im thinking within about two weeks to a month from now (or sooner) I will have fully controllable nitrates.
If I want higher nitrates, speed up the drip rate.
Lower nitrates, slow down the drip rate.

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress still being made!

I added 20lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand two days ago. I wanted to add some live sand because I removed ALL the sand and most of the live rock from the tank.
My plan was to add a total of 50 pounds of sand. 20lbs of live sand and 30lbs dry (non live).
When I added the live sand, I was surprised to see it was almost enough. I don't want a deep sand bed. One or two inches at the most.
This is what it looked like with the 20lbs.
20181128_154817.jpg
20181128_154805.jpg

Today, I added 15lbs of the CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand. I removed the large corals from the tank and placed them in a tub with tank water, a heater and a pump for circulation. I have the tub right next to the tank so the corals can get at least a little light from the tank.
1543450501175354414279526837709.jpg

The large rock with the large Kenya tree and the towering rock with the bta remained in the tank along with the carpet anemone and the small rock with the mini maxi carpet.

Adding the 15lbs of sand to the 20lbs I added previously looks absolutely right! Not too much sand and no bare spots.
15434508241494898930294111552125.jpg

I also added 12 capfulls of Seachem Stability.
I have not had a new cycle. Not even a mini cycle but more bacteria can't hurt.
I also have 2 bottles of Bio Spira ready to go when I'm done.

I have a mock up of the tank made so I can hopefully create a new rock scape with the 40lbs of Stax rocks that I have.
1543451139867167191382931478756.jpg

It's going to be interesting for multiple reasons.

1. I am beginning to like the simplicity of the tank the way it is right now.

2. I have to account for the rock that is currently in the tank.

3. I have to build structures that will support the large corals I have in the tub and take into account new corals I will have in the future.

4. Having different types of rocks may not look right. (Stax with the existing rock)

5. Leaving enough open space! I do not want a crowded tank..

As I said, progress is definitely being made but I need to plan this all out.

I wonder how long the corals will be good in the tub?

I think the Stax rock will blend right in once it colors up a little bit. Looks good. I’m using it on a new build right now and I’m always happy to see what others are doing with it. Following along.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Stax rock will blend right in once it colors up a little bit. Looks good. I’m using it on a new build right now and I’m always happy to see what others are doing with it. Following along.

I hope so.
I like the Stax rocks. Only thing I don't like is the lines between the rocks. That and the fact that it looked kinda unnatural with the flat surface and abrupt edges.

Like you said, hopefully time will fix those issues.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with the colonies drawing my attention, the rock looks fine. It is better than if it were a completely new build. Picturing how your corals might grow it looks like you did a great job placing them. Love all the pictures.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so.
I like the Stax rocks. Only thing I don't like is the lines between the rocks. That and the fact that it looked kinda unnatural with the flat surface and abrupt edges.

Like you said, hopefully time will fix those issues.

I’m trying to alleviate some of the unnatural look by also using CaribSea Rubblezone. I’ve been putting together the basic islands and then adding the rubble pieces to to break up the flatness. I’m raising my islands up on egg crate so it’s going to be somewhat unnatural no matter what I do but I knew that going in. I’ve still got some flat spaces but not too bad. It’s slow going but I’ve got the time.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with the colonies drawing my attention, the rock looks fine. It is better than if it were a completely new build. Picturing how your corals might grow it looks like you did a great job placing them. Love all the pictures.

Thank you!
I have lots of room for the new additions I plan on getting.
I see sticks in the future of this reef along with a possible Acan garden somewhere.
Who knows what the future holds

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great! have you thought about removing that kenya tree?

Thank you.
I've never seriously thought about removing the Kenya tree.
It's huge but it's not hurting anything. I could not get it off that rock even if I tried. I had it from a little twig and now it's a part of that rock.

What makes you ask about removing the Kenya tree?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to alleviate some of the unnatural look by also using CaribSea Rubblezone. I’ve been putting together the basic islands and then adding the rubble pieces to to break up the flatness. I’m raising my islands up on egg crate so it’s going to be somewhat unnatural no matter what I do but I knew that going in. I’ve still got some flat spaces but not too bad. It’s slow going but I’ve got the time.

Cool.
How's the rubble working out for you?
For me, I think I will have corals on the exposed flat surfaces. I tried to buld the structures with that idea in mind. I just hope time will cover up the lines where the rocks are stacked.

Right now it like like an old Roman column.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back