Reef City Living problems

Casey Gore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Just to preface when I was 16 I started my first nano reef and it was an amazing success. However, when I started college I had to get rid of my tank because my dorm would not allow it. Now, I am 22 and I just graduated college and moved to the city for my new job. Yall I have missed my aquarium so bad. I go to the city aquarium about every 2 months to fill my void. This is where my question comes into play.

I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment and I have 11 months on my lease. I plan on staying here for a while. I am just worried that if I have to move several times it will end badly. I had to move my last tank twice, it had over like 20 different corals crammed in it and about half of them would die with each move. It was just so hard because my rock work was cover so much I would have to rip them apart to get them out to fit in the containers.

What do you guys think I should do? I really miss my fish. I don't know what size tank if should get if I get back into the business. I have really been eyeing the 69g redsea max all in one. Also what tips do you all have for moving tanks. I don't have a problem with the hassle, I just don't want to kill half of everything.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure you have everything you need before your planning to move. I picked up suction cup handles for moving the tank glass. Totes and buckets to throw the fish and coral in while setting up the new tank. Battery operated air pumps for long distance moves. Several 50w heaters for each bucket and tote.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to consider is planning your aquascape and coral placement with a possible move in mind. Not easy to do when considering you may not know how long to the next move and how fast your corals may grow.

When I moved a year ago I re-homed most of my corals except for a very small number of easy to move (plate corals, newer frags, encrusting corals) corals. I'm a member of an active reef club and everyone trades/gives away lots of frags with the idea that if the original owner loses his colony for any reason the recipients will be able to give him a frag back to perpetuate the colony. All the guys that received them will give me a frag back any time I ask.

That's already worked very well. A good friend gave me a large frag of his prize purple acro. I grew it into a large colony. Right before I moved he lost his in a tank crash and I was able to give him a frag. His colony has already quite large and when I lost the same colony during the move he gave me a large frag as soon as my tank was mature enough for it.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only bulletproof method I've ever seen to move a tank without loosing critters is to have a temporary tank set up somewhere else, stable, bio filter established, and _then_ move the corals and critters. With the critters happily rehomed, you can _then_ move the original tank, get it established and stable, and move the critters again. Might take several months, but it works.

In a 3rd floor apartment, where you're almost guaranteed to need to move again, I don't know that I wouldn't do a smaller, more easily moved tank... 20g or so, and wait until you're in a more stable position before going all out.

OP
OP
C

Casey Gore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to consider is planning your aquascape and coral placement with a possible move in mind. Not easy to do when considering you may not know how long to the next move and how fast your corals may grow.

When I moved a year ago I re-homed most of my corals except for a very small number of easy to move (plate corals, newer frags, encrusting corals) corals. I'm a member of an active reef club and everyone trades/gives away lots of frags with the idea that if the original owner loses his colony for any reason the recipients will be able to give him a frag back to perpetuate the colony. All the guys that received them will give me a frag back any time I ask.

That's already worked very well. A good friend gave me a large frag of his prize purple acro. I grew it into a large colony. Right before I moved he lost his in a tank crash and I was able to give him a frag. His colony has already quite large and when I lost the same colony during the move he gave me a large frag as soon as my tank was mature enough for it.
I really like this Idea and I should probably join it. I am sure they have a reef club in dallas.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this Idea and I should probably join it. I am sure they have a reef club in dallas.

Anyone who lives within a reasonable drive of a local reef club, and ISN'T a member.... Join in.

Local clubs are dying. The closest I can come to a 'local', club, an hour away, is drying up. Years ago, it was a successful, vibrant community. Not so much anymore. It's a real shame. Nobody seems willing to actually 'pay' for a membership... a hobby as expensive as this one, and $20 a year seems to be a problem. What, you expect me to actually SHOW UP for a meeting once a month? The social media 'me' generation in action.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Greybeard. One way encourage meeting attendance is we frag a coral at each meeting. All members attending get a free frag. Sometimes they are really nice sized frags.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Greybeard. One way encourage meeting attendance is we frag a coral at each meeting. All members attending get a free frag. Sometimes they are really nice sized frags.
Yeah, we've tried that... Frag meet once a year, that'll be the _only_ meeting we get good turnout for. Do 'freebee' frags, xenia, blue palys, green monti cap... nobody is interested. Good frags cost money, nobody wants to pay dues.

I hosted a meeting here last summer, free burgers and dogs, swimming pool, pool table, lots of things for the kids to do... 2 members and their families showed up.

I give up.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back