Reef contaminated with chalk

MockTheMock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make a long story short my daughter put roughly a dozen pieces of broken chalk in my reef tank. Will this destroy the livestock in the tank? I'm unsure if I'll have to start from scratch or if the substances in chalk can be removed from the water. Any advice would help

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think that it would matter. Chalkboard chalk is simply CaCO3. It'll probably increase your alkalinity a bit, but that would be the extent of it.

Probably not a whole lot of studies done on the topic though.

OP
OP
MockTheMock

MockTheMock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think that it would matter. Chalkboard chalk is simply CaCO3. It'll probably increase your alkalinity a bit, but that would be the extent of it.

Probably not a whole lot of studies done on the topic though.
I couldn't find any lol. Thank you

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors from the chalk were everywhere so I went ahead and did a water change. Ill just have to see what happens
Not sure I’d be that concerned. I highly doubt that any dyes are toxic. After all, look at who’s using it and you can’t tell me there hasn’t been a multitude of kids that have given it a taste test.

OP
OP
MockTheMock

MockTheMock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I’d be that concerned. I highly doubt that any dyes are toxic. After all, look at who’s using it and you can’t tell me there hasn’t been a multitude of kids that have given it a taste test.
My kids have done plenty of taste tests. They always tell me it doesn't taste good right before they go for seconds!

OP
OP
MockTheMock

MockTheMock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! I did a 50% water change shortly afterwards. I will pick up some carbon tomorrow and continue with consistent water changes over the next week or so and see what happens! I appreciate all the quick responses!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back