Reef Conversations: Do you talk to your friends and family about your reef?

Do you actively promote reefing to your family and friends? How would you describe your outreach:

• Shhh! - I don't talk about reefing

Votes: 28 8.0%
  • Easy does it - I talk about reefing when it comes up in conversation

Votes: 185 53.2%
  • Did I ever tell you? - I actively bring up reefing in conversation

Votes: 111 31.9%
  • Reefing is life!!! - From my clothing to the stickers on my car, my life revolves around reefing

Votes: 24 6.9%

• Total voters

AquasKy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend simply says, “you love your tanks more than you love me” when I’ve talked too much about them to her lol.
My mom actually has a fish only tank that she has asked me to upgrade to a reef tank so we talk a lot about the hobby. I think the rest of my family half heartedly listens because they want to care since I care so much, it’s just not for them.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a reefer come over to do some trades. When he left my wife gave me some feedback. She said I think you where talking and wanting to show him too much and he clearly was in a rush. Lol. I said it's the first reefer seeing my tank I was excited that someone understood the crap that was was coming out my mouth. I was more excited to show a fellow reefer my tank than getting corals
U can stop by here and we can have a beer and talk about Reefing. Lol

ComfortRacing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have already been told by my family it is all i talk about…so i switched to car talk and they all walked away. At least they listen when i talk about our wet family!!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an emergency responder so I need my family to know how to take care of the tanks. Luckily they're pretty into it. Friends and colleagues couldn't care less.

On that note seems like my water quality is pretty terrible. Do I need a better skimmer?
tempImagesbax0r.png
IMG_4649.jpeg
Natural SeepIMG_4995.jpg

It's amazing how many folk think oil in the ocean or a stream is unnatural!
The picture shows a natural seep outflow on the central coast of California at low tide.
I don't tell too many people what my job is because they don't want to talk about that either?
I like my Reef Octopus skimmer better than a Lori Brush Skimmer, :cool:

M3rmaids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one cared except my 10 yr old daughter, she could name all the equipment and how it works but that's it.
I wish my old friend would start up his tank again, we spent hours just looking at stuff that grew on the live rock we bought.
Yesterday I spent about 4 hours in the basement tinkering with the tank and when I went upstairs my wife asked what took me so long... lol
This….

every boyfriend I have ever had

reason why my ex husband is my ex. Partners do realize they fell in love with us for us. Like I am passionate about things. But now I am in silence because I can tell the intellectual space for saltwater bacteria in someone’s brain is pretty slim to none.

my daughters could run it over it withouout me. 6, 8 and 10

but god forbid I ask my boyfriend to feed the clowns and all hell breaks loose…..
If your in Florida and single just kidding.

All I can find are guys I have to bait there hook, which leaves me with little time.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The night I met my future wife it was briefly brought up and it piqued her curiosity. Little did she know...

It's actually not much of a contentious thing in our house. My wife is into in so far as she likes some fish and corals more than others. Our 3 year and 18 month old both enjoy looking at the display tank. We started going to swaps again and it can be a fun family thing. We'll occasionally do daddy daughter runs to the lfs or buddies' houses. Because I swap and connect with a lot of people I've gotten smarter timing it so its not a pita for everyone else. I've also come full circle on the zoa collection. There are times I'd be frustrated or upset about sick colonies and it would bother me throughout the day... I've learned to leave that in the fish room.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely Not! Never Ever! I'm embarrassed with the amount of money I've sunk into my tanks. I even shake my head and wonder what I got my self into...lol.. I own a 60k flats boat and the payment and upkeep is a fraction of what I spend every month in this hobby.. So yea whoever thinks boats cost you has never had a reef tank or two or three. Boats are a bargain. Don't get me wrong here. I'm in deep and never getting out. I love it but when people ask what this or that costs their jaws usually hit the floor so I never talk about it for fear of being committed..lol

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural SeepIMG_4995.jpg

It's amazing how many folk think oil in the ocean or a stream is unnatural!
The picture shows a natural seep outflow on the central coast of California at low tide.
I don't tell too many people what my job is because they don't want to talk about that either?
I like my Reef Octopus skimmer better than a Lori Brush Skimmer, :cool:
Very interesting!
Unfortunately mine is not natural. Its waste oil (and a fun mix of other toxic wastes) that was illegally dumped by for decades.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend simply says, “you love your tanks more than you love me” when I’ve talked too much about them to her lol.
My wife once used this line on me. I told her "My fishtank doesn't get more love, just more attention."

I don't know how I've been married to her for 26 years...

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I initially bought a 20 gallon AIO tank and when I started setting it up the first thing my wife said to me was: ”how many fish will I be able to put in this aquarium?". To keep the long story short now I have a 150 gallon aquarium lol...

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is Polish, daily/weekly questions if my wife knows this person (also from Poland) ? Who are currently employed in the UK ?
Besides that, no one except me enjoys and admires.

My aquarium life don't judge me me

mandyvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first person I mentioned having a reef tank to at work responded with, “I’d love to have a saltwater tank and pay someone to maintain it once a week.”

Hmmm, I am not so sure this once a week plan is going to work out for my coworker. It’s a daily adventure for us.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question: My friends and family who see my tank, see me. I’ve been enjoying this hobby since I was 10 years old. They just walk on by. If I want to show off a little bit, then I put on my Jacques Cousteau accent and make them listen. Lol Thank goodness natures beauty is there to help out!!!

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No only occasionally most people have no idea of what happens in a small reef tank or a large one or what happens in our oceans most people do not care but I do!

Attachments

• A62BEF4A-BAEC-45CD-BAAF-50F0F58499DD.jpeg
    A62BEF4A-BAEC-45CD-BAAF-50F0F58499DD.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 4AE86738-FF09-400F-9838-A19137BE2694.jpeg
    4AE86738-FF09-400F-9838-A19137BE2694.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 34

Danny G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture sums it up.. even this guy took 6 months to discover an interest in the reefing hobby!

Attachments

• 208430D2-BFAF-49C8-939C-F778A7EE0C08.jpeg
    208430D2-BFAF-49C8-939C-F778A7EE0C08.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 29

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back