Reef crystals or instant ocean for sps reef

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am aware. I was going this route for a while to save a few bucks but have since gone back to Red Sea blue bucket since it has lower KH. I was adding acid to the bucket and waiting a few days for the PH to slowly come back. I guess if your KH is almost 9 its not a big swing during water changes.
Hey. I was thinking the same. I run two tanks and my goal is to keep at a dKH in the 8-9 range.

I’m confused as to why so many salts mix to such a high dKH. Wouldn’t this stress SPS corals during water changes? I have little desire to add acid to new salt to optimize the alkalinity.

I wonder how much alkalinity drops in salt mixing stations over time. I recall BRS released a video on this and it can be significant. Maybe that’s part of the answer.

@Randy Holmes-Farley can you clarify here: how do people run tanks at an alk of 8-9 with salt that mixes to 10-11? Is dilution and smaller water changes the simple answer? I have a 125 gallon and 40 gallon setup (mixed with heavy SPS) and imagine alkalinity matching is more prudent with the smaller tank.

Thanks

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. I was thinking the same. I run two tanks and my goal is to keep at a dKH in the 8-9 range.

I’m confused as to why so many salts mix to such a high dKH. Wouldn’t this stress SPS corals during water changes? I have little desire to add acid to new salt to optimize the alkalinity.

I wonder how much alkalinity drops in salt mixing stations over time. I recall BRS released a video on this and it can be significant. Maybe that’s part of the answer.

@Randy Holmes-Farley can you clarify here: how do people run tanks at an alk of 8-9 with salt that mixes to 10-11? Is dilution and smaller water changes the simple answer? I have a 125 gallon and 40 gallon setup (mixed with heavy SPS) and imagine alkalinity matching is more prudent with the smaller tank.

Thanks
I've actually used a product called Seachem acid buffer which is a powder you add to the water. You still have to wait a few days for the PH to rise back up but at least its safer to use.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Probably the majority of people are using water changes as their only way of raising alk.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back