Reef Crystals Salt... vs?

christianleo

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
56
Reaction score
17
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question. I’m starting up a 40 gallon cube and want to try my hand at a SPS dominant tank. This will be a new journey for me on this side of the hobby. I’m thinking about going with the Orange Bucket Instant Ocean reef crystals mainly cause it’s the only salt I can always get my hands on in my local area unless I drive over an hour to get either Red Sea salt or Tropic Marin. I understand it’s higher in the Cal and Alk and Mag…. BUT… is that a bad thing to start there? Or should I start with something different as far as salt is concerned. I’ve been using the purple bag Instant Ocean for some time now just trying to see what is the best starting point for new tank SPS dominant tank.
 
Ideally, you want to pick a salt that will match the levels you plan on keeping. If you plan on keeping a higher alk than the instant ocean orange bag is a good choice especially if you can get it close to you. I used in instant notation regular salt for almost 20 years before switching to Red Sea blue bucket more recently. I don’t know if I see any big difference in the salt brands however, the blue bucket mixes very close to what I dose the tank at.

If you can get it near you then I’d say use it.

Here’s a link to a thread I started a little while ago. Take a look and maybe see what others use and why. The results may surprise you?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-salt-do-you-use-and-why.1135208/
 
Regular IO will be fine especially if you already have it and are used to it
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new