Reef crystals vs reef pro mix

LeChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost ready to put water in my tank but stuck on the salt, I know reef crystals is cheap and easy to get but of course not as good as reef pro mix but cheaper of course. Could I start with reef crystals and one day slowly water change over to reef pro mix? I want to have soft corals in my tank and don’t want to risk it if it’s a risk of course

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost ready to put water in my tank but stuck on the salt, I know reef crystals is cheap and easy to get but of course not as good as reef pro mix but cheaper of course. Could I start with reef crystals and one day slowly water change over to reef pro mix? I want to have soft corals in my tank and don’t want to risk it if it’s a risk of course
IMO you'd be best waiting a couple or 3 months after adding your first fish to get your first coral. May be enough time depending on the size you buy.

OP
OP
LeChef

LeChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you'd be best waiting a couple or 3 months after adding your first fish to get your first coral. May be enough time depending on the size you buy.
Oh yea I know definitely waiting a long time before I get some corals

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of people use IO reef crystals and have absolutely no issue with it. I hear the only draw back can be a film left behind after mixing. I use red sea coral pro and like it also.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry much about salt brands yet. Focus on stability for now. Most softies are forgiving and yes, you can change over to an other salt whenever you want. As far as "slowly", just do your regular water changes but with the new salt.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back