Reef cycle water change

Koffin98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello recently started up a 60G reef tank, it’s going through the brown algae diatom phase. Would it be a good idea to do a water change ? Nitrites are up but ammonia is low about 0ppm I do have live stock in the stock.

OP
OP
Koffin98

Koffin98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I know i got impatient thinking dr Tim’s one and only would cycle my tank quick alongside with some live rock and decided to bite the bullet and get corals. Surprisingly they’re doing great for rn

OP
OP
Koffin98

Koffin98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies mainlyGSP , mushrooms, zoas, Duncan’s and acans. Some of the more forgiving corals. Any advice to give a beginner reefer in this situation?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any form of growth you can see confirms a complete cycle, you began reefing on the right date. Growths either indicate pre cycled materials or enough time underwater for non cycled ones.

Clean them up for sure, see this thread it'll save your tank. A summary of twenty successful cycles.

The reason to go slow in adding fish is so that you can choose a disease prevention protocol

Bacteria take care of themselves for the rest of the time, now you're in the realm of ich velvet and algae care options.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly, adding corals and a clean up crew so a fallow prep period isn't boring to look at is the right thing to do

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back