Reef dying again. Any ideas?

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple metals in my water from water and ice and other sources of water. My source of water was contaminated and causing all my problems. I'm saving to get a ro system at the moment, but I have a friend that is supplying me with quality water till I get the ro system. Been using his water and corals are coming back. Never trust Arizona water unless you purify it your self. I'll post an update tomorrow with progress. Thank you everyone for the advice! It has helped me in more ways than I can count!

I'm glad you got it figured out. Triton tests definitely come in handy. Good luck man!

OP
OP
TheAsian0328

TheAsian0328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything ok bud?

The moment all I can do is get water from a friend till I get my own ro system. Been doing 1.5gal water changes through out the week to try and bring the tds level down but maintain mag alk and cal levels. Some corals seem to be trying and others are still receding. Hopefully the new ro water helps or I've run out of ideas. Maybe my water is to clean and not cycled completely.

OP
OP
TheAsian0328

TheAsian0328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update after buying an ro unit. Corals are bouncing back slowly but seeing progress. Thank you everyone for the helpful ideas!

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next, keep your expectations realistic. You have coral frags. They are going to be quite tempormental until they become colonies- which will be a long time. The best thing you can do for corals specifically is to leave them alone no matter what. You have a newly established, small tank. Your best bet is to research what they like before purchase and placement. Then dont touch them after placement. Sometimes it takes many, many months for things to show full polyp extension and color. And when I say many months, I mean possibly up to six- sometimes more. Some are just going to die and you will need to take your lumps and use that a learning experience. Think hard about why- maybe it wasnt your tank as a whole at all. It's often times unhealthy specimans or poor tank placement.

Very old post here but for knowledge, are you suggesting that frags frequently die? What percentage each of softies, LPS, and SPS, would you say survive a week? A month?

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in an apartment so an rodi system is a bit of a challenge to hide from the complex. But I have just installed a light to grow algae and an air stone for o2 movement. Tds meter is in the picture.
7112a436277cee008eaeb7493139165e.jpg
it's off slightly but still in good condition.
d88c81e4511f85fc3ba7a684728aaad2.jpg

Old post. Took my comment down.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back