Reef Energy A+B in a nutrient-free tank: will coral survive? Somewhat urgent

679x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so this is an ambitious plan and I understand that it may not work out the way I want it to. Bear with me, and please be considerate even if you think this is a terrible idea... the title might help you understand where I'm going with this though:

On the weekend my LFS is having a decent sale on all livestock: fish, coral/invertebrates, and live rock. I am ready for my first saltwater tank, but I have no equipment or anything yet. In the next few days before the sale I can go to the LFS and pick up necessary equipment and set up a tank very quickly.

My plan involves getting the tank set up ASAP, along with setting up a quarantine tank, and monitoring both very closely for the next few weeks. The catch is that I want to benefit from the sale by getting livestock over the weekend.

I understand that this may not be the best idea, getting fish and coral for a tank that is only a few days old! But I have a few ideas.
A: monitor the tank like crazy and do lots of detective work if anything seems to be wrong
B: do water changes often to keep nutrients down in fish quarantine

And one question.

How do I keep coral alive in a system with no nutrients? (no fish, etc) I want to get mostly LPS.

Could I use Red Sea's Reef Energy A+B? Will that be sufficient for keeping coral alive? Do I also need to feed actual coral food? Since the tank can't be cycled immediately it won't have any nitrates in it. And I understand that a tank needs SOME nitrates for the coral. I'm hoping that feeding the coral will keep it alive.

As I said before I understand that this may not be the best idea but I would like to consider it. If it doesn't seem like it will work out, I will forget about the sale and set up the tank at a slow and steady pace. I have experience with fish tanks, just not saltwater ones, but I think I will be able to manage stuff like ammonia, etc. so I'm not too concerned.

In the title I said this was 'somewhat urgent' because even though it's not an emergency, I really need to know what to do within the next few days. If this gets no replies I guess I won't go with the sale but if possible I want to save some money with it.

Thanks in advance

anthonywesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan involves getting the tank set up ASAP, along with setting up a quarantine tank, and monitoring both very closely for the next few weeks. The catch is that I want to benefit from the sale by getting livestock over the weekend.

Thanks in advance

ASAP. That's not good. Go slowly and enjoy [emoji1303]

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy everything new, and get it going and add any kind of livestock immediately you are not gonna be happy with the results. Only way I would even think of trying this is if I got a bunch of rock from a friends established tank, some of his sand and some of his water and even then I would take it slow and add very little livestock to start. I would get all the hardware your gonna need during " the sale " set it all up, let it cycle then slowly start adding goodies . You will be bummed if you try to fast forward on the livestock it will not end well, I learned this many years ago ( 30+ ) when I was new to the hobby and that was with a freshwater tank.

OP
OP

679x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I went to the LFS anyway just to see if they have everything I would need, and they didn't... so I couldn't have done this even if I wanted to.

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I went to the LFS anyway just to see if they have everything I would need, and they didn't... so I couldn't have done this even if I wanted to.

That was a blessing in disguise. There are tons of deals and sales in this hobby, that is a constant. The other constant is that everything should be done slowly and carefully.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back