Reef Factory saved me some corals.

Fisherman Joe

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2015
Messages
749
Reaction score
235
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plucked up and bought the automated tester called Reef Factory. I opted for the PO4 testing kits.

Have to say, I hear they had problems in the past but I’ve had a breeze setting it up. The instructions aren’t super clear but you can work it out eventually.

It’s been working for months now. My PO4 stays around 0.10mg/l.

The last few days it’s crept up to 0.16 then 0.17.

Upon checking, the fluidised reactor had compacted and was just a brick of PO4 removal media. A quick mix and it’s back working again.

I had only just replaced the PO4 media, so I wouldn’t have checked this for weeks, leading to PO4 creeping up further, and corals dying.

IMG_2760.png

IMG_2759.jpeg
 
So PO4 kills corals in your system? I never knew that could happen. I know stable parameters are good. And PO4 slows calcification. But never die off. Good to know
 
Plucked up and bought the automated tester called Reef Factory. I opted for the PO4 testing kits.

Have to say, I hear they had problems in the past but I’ve had a breeze setting it up. The instructions aren’t super clear but you can work it out eventually.

It’s been working for months now. My PO4 stays around 0.10mg/l.

The last few days it’s crept up to 0.16 then 0.17.

Upon checking, the fluidised reactor had compacted and was just a brick of PO4 removal media. A quick mix and it’s back working again.

I had only just replaced the PO4 media, so I wouldn’t have checked this for weeks, leading to PO4 creeping up further, and corals dying.

IMG_2760.png

IMG_2759.jpeg
I've been looking at the reef factory as a tester to go between my tanks and automatically run my tests on water change day. Is it simple enough to change reagents to go through a full battery of tests, and move on to the next aquarium?
 
Po4 spike will make BJD more likely in some sensitive torch corals has happened to me, after consistently measuring PO4 I haven't had an issue since. I know BJD is bacteria caused but I speculate the spikes stress them out and weaken their immunity.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new