Reef Flux Question

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering using Reef Flux to assist in combating the hair algae issues I am having, but had a question.

The directions state:
  • Turn off skimmer for first 3 days, and remove activated carbon and any chemical filtration for the duration of treatment. GFO and Phosban can remain in place since the media only removes phosphates.
My question is if I leave my skimmer running without the collection cup to aid with aeration in the tank will it negate the effects of dosing? I am leaning towards turning the skimmer off completely so I could follow the directions exactly but just wanted to see what past users have done.

Thanks

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave skimmer on, turn it to skim extremely wet (foaming up and over consistently) and remove cup. All will be well.

You can also dose this stuff and leave skimmer on. I have done that multiple times, worked the same.

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a follow up question for those who have used Reef Flux.

I received mine today and the final step of the directions say:

"The dosage can be doubled for faster results."

Has anyone doubled the dosage without negative effects?

SCK1027

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated mine with double dosage after the bubble algae and bryopsis came back with the recommended dosage.
The bryopsis completely went away, with most of the bubble algae turning white.

BUT it stressed out a lot of my corals from my observation, as the alkalinity uptake decreased considerably and couple of my euphyllias and acros shriveled/died. I caught the alkalinity change a little late at ~12dkh, which could've been the tipping point for the deaths.

Doubling the dosage has, however, resulted faster effects.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used fluconazole many times on more than a few different tanks including double the dose and never lost anything. To get it to work the fastest double the dose and turn up your white and red light if you can. The algae has to grow to be killed and the faster it grows the sooner it dies.

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I opted to dose the recommended amount this morning and will see what happens.

My thought process was worse case I will just run a second round if I do not receive the desired results at the end of the three week run.

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the treatment going? I'm thinking about going this route myself and it sounds like you're on day 4 or 5 by now.

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the treatment going? I'm thinking about going this route myself and it sounds like you're on day 4 or 5 by now.
I am currently on day 5 and there is an increased amount of GHA in my filter sock when I changed it today. I failed to take a day 0 picture but plan to take a week 1, 2 and 3 picture.

I am honestly not sure if I want to believe it is working so I am seeing improvement or it is actually improving. However, what I have read says you will see big improvements around the two week mark.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it a few times and yes it does take about a week or so to see it working but when algea starts dieing it does fast. I always remove skimmer cup and place rag over it that's just me. Skimmer does help keep oxygen in tank. And always had great success with recommend dos not double. Thanks and keep up posted good luck.

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today makes one week that I have been treating with Reef Flux.

I failed to get before photos, and wont be home when my lights come on so I snapped some pics this morning.

I believe it is starting to work.

20210212_103011.jpg
20210212_103030.jpg
20210212_103020.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d block that sunlight out.
It would be a major contributor.
Sunlight high in red spectrum, algae’s favorite food.

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind sharing when did you turn back on the skimmer? I’m on the 6th day of treatment and skimmer back on the 5th. I’m seeing slight improvements but nothing major noticeable. Thanks.

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind sharing when did you turn back on the skimmer? I’m on the 6th day of treatment and skimmer back on the 5th. I’m seeing slight improvements but nothing major noticeable. Thanks.
I turned my skimmer back on day 4. Honestly I didn't see a significant change early on and the biggest jump was over this weekend. From what I have read it can take 10-14 days to start to see any changes.

Hope it works for you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back