Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Quick tank specs,
150g system volume
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 78
Alk: 8.03 Trident tested (hannah back checked)
Ca: 433 Trident tested (hannah back checked)
Mg: 1311 Trident tested (hannah back checked)
Nitrate: 5.6 Hannah tested
Phosphate: 0.04 Hannah tested

My tank has been up and running for about 11 months or so everything has been running and have been adding a few hand full of acros (have about 25 all small frags 3/4" - 1in") and a few hammers, torch and zoas. All had seemed happy and was seeing some growth in almost all the coral until last Saturday. I have a orange montipora digitata I have had from the beginning that I noticed first with all its polyps retracted and looking very angry. Parameters per the Apex show everything within range and no major swings but the following days I have had a progression of acros experiencing RTN overnight. Not all coral looks unhappy, there are several acros that look amazing still but several showing retracted polyps and less coloration. I have done 2x 30 gallon water changes on the system (~20%) about 40% total change.

Coral definitely shows improvement on polyps extensions after the water change but seems to only last 12-16 hours before it seemingly starts to decline again. Not sure what is going on or what steps to take, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light or flow related?

OP
OP
Trommell

Trommell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2x neptune skys and a radion xr30 over the tank average Par is 250 around the tank.

For flow I have 2x Neptune Wavs, 1 MP40 and a Reefwave 45.

Nothing in the flow or lighting has changed to my knowledge, flow meter still registering the same range.

I know that doesn't mean there isn't a problem there I just wouldn't think the same flow and lighting that have been keeping the creatures alive would suddenly cause them to start dying.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag is a touch low but I don't think that's the issue. How about Ph? With the winter months windows and doors are closed. Allowing more Co2

OP
OP
Trommell

Trommell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew I was forgetting something on the list.
PH has been 8.2 during the day and goes down to 8.0 during the night. Back checked with Salifert test kits also.

1675533721699.png

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Year mark I was still getting over the uglies. How's the tank look? Any products added recently besides standard dosing?

OP
OP
Trommell

Trommell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a carbon reactor I have been considering using but was just nervous about trying something I have never used before, so was trying to do my due diligence before I trying that.

Anything tricky with setting up a carbon reactor (got a generic one from BRS)

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a carbon reactor I have been considering using but was just nervous about trying something I have never used before, so was trying to do my due diligence before I trying that.

Anything tricky with setting up a carbon reactor (got a generic one from BRS)
A bag of carbon in the sump is easier as a test trial. Just put it in a high flow area.

OP
OP
Trommell

Trommell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a turf algae outbreak little over a month ago, added some clean up crew and did some manual removal and it has been receding ever since and almost gone now. No chemical additives other than alk, ca and mg.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey guys,

Quick tank specs,
150g system volume
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 78
Alk: 8.03 Trident tested (hannah back checked)
Ca: 433 Trident tested (hannah back checked)
Mg: 1311 Trident tested (hannah back checked)
Nitrate: 5.6 Hannah tested
Phosphate: 0.04 Hannah tested

My tank has been up and running for about 11 months or so everything has been running and have been adding a few hand full of acros (have about 25 all small frags 3/4" - 1in") and a few hammers, torch and zoas. All had seemed happy and was seeing some growth in almost all the coral until last Saturday. I have a orange montipora digitata I have had from the beginning that I noticed first with all its polyps retracted and looking very angry. Parameters per the Apex show everything within range and no major swings but the following days I have had a progression of acros experiencing RTN overnight. Not all coral looks unhappy, there are several acros that look amazing still but several showing retracted polyps and less coloration. I have done 2x 30 gallon water changes on the system (~20%) about 40% total change.

Coral definitely shows improvement on polyps extensions after the water change but seems to only last 12-16 hours before it seemingly starts to decline again. Not sure what is going on or what steps to take, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Once upon a time I was in the same boat and being a former LFS owner still have privilege of attending various seminars. A couple years ago I realized as with your tank, in a mixed reef there is coral competition. SPS release toxins and LPS release their own also. In turn , I tried this and it has worked since- I get tickled by seeing acro multiply quickly.
Add a pouch of chemipure blue which removes these toxins and keep phos levels in check But more important. . . change water daily at 1-2 gals a day. To me, it sounded like a pain in the rear UNTIL. . . I did it every other day and realized it took about 6 mins a day. You are replenished uptake of elements and restoring absorbed trace elements. I could not be happier now.
Other causes of SPS issues are :
- Alkalinity spike
- Temperature spike
- Salinity spike
- Low dissolved oxygen
- Poor water quality related with phosphate levels up to 5 ppm
- Change in water flow
- Additions of sand
- Changes in brand of salt
- Bad test kits giving faulty results
- Levels of minor elements such as Iodine, Potassium, Strontium
- Light intensity
- - Changes in water flow
- Addition of new corals
- - Pesticides
- Airborne Contaminants or sprays

OP
OP
Trommell

Trommell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are several LPS corals that use toxins in the water but I thought I was staying away from those with keeping hammers and torches as my only LPS corals. All other coral are mostly Acropora, couple of montipora and 10 zoas.

I know the torches and hammers have long sweeper tentacles so I have set them roughly 8-10" from any other corals. Do hammers and torches also produce toxins in the water?

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas have the very bad toxins. I have read that a guy tried to boil them to get them off a rock and it all most killed him.

ulferik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had same experience in about the same age of tank.. i did a icp test an had 80%hit. added every trace elements that where low and things looked better almost overnight..i was very low on potassium, strontium and fluorine ,barium and iodine.. this looked too be my issues. hope it helps. good luck

Back