Reef insurance

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity
Does anyone inform their insurance company abou the huge volume of water in their living room etc ?

curious if something were to ever happen if the insurance companies have loop holes to not pay out or cover damages ?

I’m sure my 230 gallons of water could destroy most of my contents

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity
Does anyone inform their insurance company abou the huge volume of water in their living room etc ?

curious if something were to ever happen if the insurance companies have loop holes to not pay out or cover damages ?

I’m sure my 230 gallons of water could destroy most of my contents
This summer I had my RODI overflow overnight by accident. Caused about $40K water damage on all 3 levels of my house. My insurance company is The Personal. They covered it no problems. I'm also in Canada by the way, in Manitoba.

The only thing they didn't cover was that the tank had to be moved to replace the flooring and I lost 1 coral, a couple of fish and shrimp. They covered the moving of the tank, but they wouldn't cover the deaths of the animals.

I did more research on this and found out that most insurance policies exclude animals and you need to add them on separately. That is something I am currently looking into.

They didn't have any issues with the fact that I didn't tell them ahead of time that I had an aquarium, but I think it wouldn't hurt to have a chat with them and run some scenarios by them to see what would be covered.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coming from the insurance world...it can be state specific, but generally anything "sudden or accidental" is covered, where you run into issues is if the resulting damage is from long term exposure, like a slow leak you were unaware of.

Also the source of the leak would not be covered only the resulting damages would be, if it was seam failure, the tank isn't covered but the resulting damages would be.

Even if its a leak you cause, i was adding top off and forgot to turn the pump off and flooded my your own house, the resulting damages are covered as long as you didn't do it on purpose :)

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not, but I’m in a house.
I might do that if I was in an apartment where the resulting damage may be tens of thousands of dollars.
One member had his go in his apartment. The repair cost was over $50,000.
In 30 years, never had any issues, my 180g has 20mm glass.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This summer I had my RODI overflow overnight by accident. Caused about $40K water damage on all 3 levels of my house. My insurance company is The Personal. They covered it no problems. I'm also in Canada by the way, in Manitoba.

The only thing they didn't cover was that the tank had to be moved to replace the flooring and I lost 1 coral, a couple of fish and shrimp. They covered the moving of the tank, but they wouldn't cover the deaths of the animals.

I did more research on this and found out that most insurance policies exclude animals and you need to add them on separately. That is something I am currently looking into.

They didn't have any issues with the fact that I didn't tell them ahead of time that I had an aquarium, but I think it wouldn't hurt to have a chat with them and run some scenarios by them to see what would be covered.
I might send them a email
We rent right not but when changing the truck and car to this company , we insured the boat with them as well

inquired about content insurance as well .
for the price it wasnt smart not to have it

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely check with your insurance company but usually water damage is covered. The tank and stand itself may not be. You will definitely need to talk to them about livestock and it's best to discuss with your insurance agent estimated retail value of coral that's been growing a few years, don't be surprised if they balk at covering that replacement cost.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always call and verify and get it in hard copy writing. Ours would cover the tank and damages but nothing living. You may be able to get a type of life insurance policy on livestock but I have not checked.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back