Reef Keeper Lite Help. where is the program button?

Tyler Tacy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the RKL and im having trouble setting it up I updated both the power bar and the display but I cant find the program button like in all the videos?
I have the SID V2 plugged into my PC connected to 1 of 2 BUS ports on the power bar and the display unit plugged into the 2nd port.
I only have the lite version so no SLX modulus
ANy idea?

RKL.PNG

Last edited:

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I worked with the myReef software, but I believe you need to click on the module you want to program in the tree to the left of the window. All of the connected modules should be listed under your SID. In the case of the PC4 you can select an output and you should see a window that will give you programming/function options. The same will be true with any other modules you connect like and SL1, SL2, etc.

OP
OP
Tyler Tacy

Tyler Tacy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I worked with the myReef software, but I believe you need to click on the module you want to program in the tree to the left of the window. All of the connected modules should be listed under your SID. In the case of the PC4 you can select an output and you should see a window that will give you programming/function options. The same will be true with any other modules you connect like and SL1, SL2, etc.
thanks for your insight, whats troubling me is this is the screen that pops up when I click the PC4 module and the program button only says that the module has already been updated are you sure you want to update again?

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens when you click on the preferences icon?

OP
OP
Tyler Tacy

Tyler Tacy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone i followed these steps i found from another reefer on here and got access to it!

1. Disconnect your SID from your computer system.
2. Run the myReef 2.0 installer and continue through the setup windows.
3. Open the myReef software application to verify correct installation.
4. Connect your SID to your computer via USB. At this stage, make sure the SID is not connected to any module or unit.
5. Verify that the SID shows up under “Systems” on the left hand side.
6. Click on the SID item. The main screen will display information about the SID.
7. Click the “Update” button to the right of the SID. myReef will display the firmware update screen and automatically select the most recent firmware version to update.
8. Click the “Program” button. The progress bar at the top of the screen will begin to move. Once the update has completed, the screen will go back to displaying the SID information.
9. Plug ONLY your RKE or RKL system head unit directly to the SID. After a few moments, your head unit should show up both in the left side tree view (under the SID) and in the main pane. [Note: If you have the new silver SID v2 and a ReefKeeper Lite, you will have to use an RJ-12 pass-through female-to-female coupler/y-splitter to connect the SID to the RKL head unit. A female-to-female programming coupler is included with all new RKL system purchases. Otherwise these are available online or at most Radio Shack stores.]
10. Click on the ‘Update” button to the right of the head unit. myReef will display the firmware update screen and automatically select the most recent firmware version to update.
11. Click the “Program” button. The progress bar at the top of the screen will begin to move. For RKE customers, updating the head unit's firmware is a 3 stage process and will take a but longer than on other versions. Both the second and third stages will power up the head unit and characters on the screen may display incorrectly during this process. RKL customers will experience the standard 1 stage process.
12. Repeat the update process for all other modules in your system. Note that each module must be updated individually, powered down and connected only to the SID. Please remember that due to the complexity of the NET module takes significantly longer to program than the other modules in the system. Depending on your computer system, this can range anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes.
13. Once all modules have been updated to their newest versions, plug your entire system together and power your ReefKeeper system up.
14. Perform a factory reset on your head unit (Menu>System>Factory Reset). This is required because of the vast amount of updates and improvements to the head unit firmware. In some cases, your head unit will power up with the KEYS LOCKED. For RKE customers, if this occurs, please unlock the keys by pressing, [UP] [DOWN]
[DOWN]. For RKL customers, unlock the keys by pressing, [UP] [DOWN] [UP] [ENTER].
15. Plug your SID into the last available bus port on your system. Your ReefKeeper system will now be displayed under the connected SID within myReef.
16. You are now ready to use myReef 2.0. Enjoy!!!​

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens when you click on the Select drop downs on the left side of the window?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you don't have a PB4 and programmed it as a PC4? The PC4 has been out of production for years. They are not the same.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To update the pc4 need to be off and connected to the SiD, same with updating any of modules. To program with my reef power to the pc4 needs to be on and all mudules hoomed up. You can open the program menu with the power off to the pc4. It took me a little while to figure that out.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first post shows a PB4 and post 12 shows a PC4. Again which one do you actually have? The PC4 firmware will not work on the PB4. They are too different. If you put PC4 firmware on a PB4 it will not work.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone i followed these steps i found from another reefer on here and got access to it!

1. Disconnect your SID from your computer system.
2. Run the myReef 2.0 installer and continue through the setup windows.
3. Open the myReef software application to verify correct installation.
4. Connect your SID to your computer via USB. At this stage, make sure the SID is not connected to any module or unit.
5. Verify that the SID shows up under “Systems” on the left hand side.
6. Click on the SID item. The main screen will display information about the SID.
7. Click the “Update” button to the right of the SID. myReef will display the firmware update screen and automatically select the most recent firmware version to update.
8. Click the “Program” button. The progress bar at the top of the screen will begin to move. Once the update has completed, the screen will go back to displaying the SID information.
9. Plug ONLY your RKE or RKL system head unit directly to the SID. After a few moments, your head unit should show up both in the left side tree view (under the SID) and in the main pane. [Note: If you have the new silver SID v2 and a ReefKeeper Lite, you will have to use an RJ-12 pass-through female-to-female coupler/y-splitter to connect the SID to the RKL head unit. A female-to-female programming coupler is included with all new RKL system purchases. Otherwise these are available online or at most Radio Shack stores.]
10. Click on the ‘Update” button to the right of the head unit. myReef will display the firmware update screen and automatically select the most recent firmware version to update.
11. Click the “Program” button. The progress bar at the top of the screen will begin to move. For RKE customers, updating the head unit's firmware is a 3 stage process and will take a but longer than on other versions. Both the second and third stages will power up the head unit and characters on the screen may display incorrectly during this process. RKL customers will experience the standard 1 stage process.
12. Repeat the update process for all other modules in your system. Note that each module must be updated individually, powered down and connected only to the SID. Please remember that due to the complexity of the NET module takes significantly longer to program than the other modules in the system. Depending on your computer system, this can range anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes.
13. Once all modules have been updated to their newest versions, plug your entire system together and power your ReefKeeper system up.
14. Perform a factory reset on your head unit (Menu>System>Factory Reset). This is required because of the vast amount of updates and improvements to the head unit firmware. In some cases, your head unit will power up with the KEYS LOCKED. For RKE customers, if this occurs, please unlock the keys by pressing, [UP] [DOWN]
[DOWN]. For RKL customers, unlock the keys by pressing, [UP] [DOWN] [UP] [ENTER].
15. Plug your SID into the last available bus port on your system. Your ReefKeeper system will now be displayed under the connected SID within myReef.
16. You are now ready to use myReef 2.0. Enjoy!!!​
I had the same problem so I gave up and just programmed it directly on the keypad. I will give this a shot. Pretty lazy that they don't have these instructions listed with the equipment.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine 100% programmed using my reef. Named the PC4s #1 and #2, named each plug on the PC4s to the device that plug will control, setup a float switch to run ATO, temp control for heat and cooling, alarms and safety features for temp and ph.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back