Reef Keeping in Crisis: Balancing Conservation and Accessibility

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The world of reef keeping, once a passion firmly rooted in conservation, has gradually drifted beyond the reach of many enthusiasts. While the higher costs associated with saltwater equipment were always expected due to the rigors of maintaining such environments, the recent exponential surge in prices for livestock and equipment has created a barrier to entry that threatens the accessibility of the hobby. This shift has raised concerns about the industry's commitment to its conservation ethos, as enthusiasts find themselves grappling with the painful reality of increasingly unaffordable marine life. Export bans, while acknowledged for their role in pricing, are not the sole culprit; the rise of designer corals is also contributing to what seems like a relentless pursuit of profit, potentially to the detriment of the hobby's future.

In the past, the reef keeping community was a beacon of hope for marine conservation, thanks to robust aquaculture and captive breeding programs worldwide. These efforts successfully combated threats like global warming. However, it's disheartening to witness a transformation within the coral vendor community, where profit-seeking now appears to eclipse the once-pervasive commitment to making marine life accessible to all. As a result, acquiring coral has become an increasingly disheartening and inaccessible endeavor for aspiring enthusiasts, and the willingness of some to spend thousands of dollars on a single frag is a concerning symptom of greed taking precedence over conservation.

It's high time we revisit the core values of our beloved hobby. Is it acceptable for profit margins to take precedence over the very conservation principles that once defined us? We must collectively reflect on our responsibilities as reef keepers. Let's advocate for sustainable practices and affordability, ensuring that future generations can not only experience the wonders of our coral reefs but also contribute to their preservation. The choice is ours: to prioritize profit or to embrace our role as stewards of the ocean.

As someone who has dedicated nearly two decades to the reef keeping hobby, I am unreservedly committed to defending my stance. I also acknowledge that this hobby carries an inherent element of luxury, and luxury indeed demands a price,but it is my firm belief that this price has spiraled to unsustainable heights, with an insidious greed now casting a shadow over the very essence of what this community once stood for.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to try to address some aspects of your post that have me confused. I personally believe you are conflating two separate issues here.

First, you feel that marine aquarium keeping, as a hobby, has become too costly, due to greed, and so is now “beyond the reach” of new hobbyist and so “created a barrier to entry”. This barrier might ultimately be “to the detriment of the hobby”. All well and good. I can see some validity here. Worth discussing.

Second, you lament your perceived shift of the hobby aware from a “commitment to its conservation ethos” in which it was once “firmly rooted”. That’s an interesting take, can’t say I agree, but I’ll also have that conversation.

These two statements on their own can be discussed. Where you have lost me is how you are connecting the two. How is it that livestock being more expensive than it once was an issue with conservation? I honestly see it in the opposite light. A large majority of the fish sold for marine aquariums are wild caught. Why wouldn’t you want animals being taken from wild reefs to be expensive? I very much appreciate the fact that the price tag on these fish makes a hobbyist pause before purchase. They should never be an impulse buy. As someone who spent many years working in the pet trade, I can assure you higher cost protect living things from being seen as expendable or disposable. Look at how a 10-cent feeder goldfish is treated compared to a $90 discus. One is purchased with little care for its wellbeing. The other is pampered, proper equipment purchased, care given. Captive bred fish are expensive in our hobby. We spend money on those fish and support captive breeding, which you are associating with conservation efforts. I make that connection too.

I’ll also gently push back on your “beacon of hope” statement and how threats like global warming were “successfully combated”. Global warming, particularly from a reef survival standpoint has never been “successfully combated”. Speak with any coral researcher, they will Not be using that language. But if the hobby were to contribute to reef conservation it would be with our wallets more than our tanks. Research and conservation require funding. It’s that simple. What you do with the aquarium in your living room has next to no impact on coral reef conservation. I’m curious as to when this hobby was ever firmly about conservation of wild reefs. We must not kid ourselves. As much as we all love the ocean, fish, coral, our keeping glass boxes full of marine animals in our living rooms isn’t going to be what saves the reefs. I LOVE my reef tank, but if anything, its power use is contributing to global warming, not to mention taking potable water and making it salty. But other actions we take may help. Donating to groups doing direct action, education, supporting sustainable aquaculture can all be good. But we are not on the vanguard when it comes to ocean conservation via our home aquariums.

Again though, high dollar coral and your perceived lack of focus of the hobby on preserving marine wildlife have seemingly no connection in my mind. I’d be interested in hearing how you have connected the two.

As someone who has dedicated nearly two decades to aquarium keeping and close to a decade in academic marine research (maybe not a great life choice lol), I am unreservedly committed to civilly having this conversation.

OP
OP
Jeremy_d

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to try to address some aspects of your post that have me confused. I personally believe you are conflating two separate issues here.

First, you feel that marine aquarium keeping, as a hobby, has become too costly, due to greed, and so is now “beyond the reach” of new hobbyist and so “created a barrier to entry”. This barrier might ultimately be “to the detriment of the hobby”. All well and good. I can see some validity here. Worth discussing.

Second, you lament your perceived shift of the hobby aware from a “commitment to its conservation ethos” in which it was once “firmly rooted”. That’s an interesting take, can’t say I agree, but I’ll also have that conversation.

These two statements on their own can be discussed. Where you have lost me is how you are connecting the two. How is it that livestock being more expensive than it once was an issue with conservation? I honestly see it in the opposite light. A large majority of the fish sold for marine aquariums are wild caught. Why wouldn’t you want animals being taken from wild reefs to be expensive? I very much appreciate the fact that the price tag on these fish makes a hobbyist pause before purchase. They should never be an impulse buy. As someone who spent many years working in the pet trade, I can assure you higher cost protect living things from being seen as expendable or disposable. Look at how a 10-cent feeder goldfish is treated compared to a $90 discus. One is purchased with little care for its wellbeing. The other is pampered, proper equipment purchased, care given. Captive bred fish are expensive in our hobby. We spend money on those fish and support captive breeding, which you are associating with conservation efforts. I make that connection too.

I’ll also gently push back on your “beacon of hope” statement and how threats like global warming were “successfully combated”. Global warming, particularly from a reef survival standpoint has never been “successfully combated”. Speak with any coral researcher, they will Not be using that language. But if the hobby were to contribute to reef conservation it would be with our wallets more than our tanks. Research and conservation require funding. It’s that simple. What you do with the aquarium in your living room has next to no impact on coral reef conservation. I’m curious as to when this hobby was ever firmly about conservation of wild reefs. We must not kid ourselves. As much as we all love the ocean, fish, coral, our keeping glass boxes full of marine animals in our living rooms isn’t going to be what saves the reefs. I LOVE my reef tank, but if anything, its power use is contributing to global warming, not to mention taking potable water and making it salty. But other actions we take may help. Donating to groups doing direct action, education, supporting sustainable aquaculture can all be good. But we are not on the vanguard when it comes to ocean conservation via our home aquariums.

Again though, high dollar coral and your perceived lack of focus of the hobby on preserving marine wildlife have seemingly no connection in my mind. I’d be interested in hearing how you have connected the two.

As someone who has dedicated nearly two decades to aquarium keeping and close to a decade in academic marine research (maybe not a great life choice lol), I am unreservedly committed to civilly having this conversation.
Thank you for your thoughtful response. I understand your perspective on the two separate issues I've raised, and I appreciate your insights.

You've made a valid point about the higher cost of marine life possibly encouraging responsible ownership and contributing to conservation efforts, especially when it comes to wild-caught specimens. I respect your experience in the pet trade and how cost can influence the care given to animals.

I also take your feedback regarding the term "successfully combated" in the context of global warming seriously, as it's indeed an ongoing and challenging issue.

While I see your viewpoint on the connection between high-dollar coral and conservation, my concern lies in the potential shift from a strong focus on accessible marine life for enthusiasts to a pursuit of profit that might exclude many aspiring hobbyists. It's a nuanced discussion, and I believe it's essential for the reef keeping community to continue engaging in these conversations to find a balance that preserves the core values of our beloved hobby.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back