Reef Lighting for 75 gallon

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I got my 75 gallon tank up and running about a month ago and only have fish in there right now but am looking to start putting corals in there soon. As this is my first reef tank i am looking to mostly do softies with some LPS. I was wondering whats the most cost effective option for this tank. I am not planning on keeping this tank forever, and will probably be upgrading to something significantly bigger in a year or so, but I want something that can grow corals but won't break the bank. Also, I would prefer an LED or hybrid fixture over just T5's just because of customization. Thanks!

EDIT: Would also like to keep anemones. I've also been looking at AI Primes, but dont know if theres anything more cost effective.

Last edited:

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current USA Orbit Marine LED light should be sufficient for LPS and Softies. Do not attempt to keep anemones though, the par on these are not adequate enough.

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, my anemones did not do well under these light; however, in other pictures of people that purchased these lights, they do seem to thrive. However, you can always get the dual version, which should be more than enough (Current USA Orbit Marine IC PRO LED DUAL). Do you have a specific budget on a light? Because if you plan to keep the 75 gallons for only about a year, you might as well by the high end of the model and switch it over to your new tank when you upgrade. That'll save you money, in the long run, then to buy a cheaper one now only to buy an expensive one next year, unless the next tank upgrade is going to be so wildly big that its recommended light would cook up your 75-gallon tank.

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, my anemones did not do well under these light; however, in other pictures of people that purchased these lights, they do seem to thrive. However, you can always get the dual version, which should be more than enough (Current USA Orbit Marine IC PRO LED DUAL). Do you have a specific budget on a light? Because if you plan to keep the 75 gallons for only about a year, you might as well by the high end of the model and switch it over to your new tank when you upgrade. That'll save you money, in the long run, then to buy a cheaper one now only to buy an expensive one next year, unless the next tank upgrade is going to be so wildly big that its recommended light would cook up your 75-gallon tank.
Next tank was gonna be around 200 gallons, but I might just do a bunch of pucks of something

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Vipraspectra 165w on my 75. I wanted a cheap option though. There are better LEDs but not cheaper better LEDs.

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next tank was gonna be around 200 gallons, but I might just do a bunch of pucks of something
You could always buy a cheap 20-gallon tank and smack on cheap led and store your corals and anemones in the meantime until you upgrade. That'll cost cheaper than any light for a 75 gal and you can still keep your corals and still save money for getting the high leights for your 200 gallon.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of Ocean Revive T247's should fit the tank and budget well. I have been running one for 17 months and it works great. I have a mixed reef with Acros, sps, lps, and zoas. My acros are growing well and keeping their color. They wont give you the 'color pop' and even par distribution of the high end lights (Radion, Kessil, Coral Care, etc.) But they are a fraction of the cost. Mount them high to get a good spectrum mix and distribution. They will definitely grow coral well.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A used metal halide setup or properly-selected Chinese ("black box") LEDs are going to be your best affordable choices to support anemones in a 21" tank.

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cheapest option would be to spend the money and buy a good light that'll grow everything and switch it over to the 200. Buy once not twice

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably get something I can keep for a little while and switch over to the 200 when needed. Thanks!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back