Reef Lords Give Me Guidance

_HULK_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi my name is Joel, long time lurker 2nd time poster. I'm not sure which thread to post in since there's a lot to go over.

For starters I made my first tank back when I was 19 years old, I was a novice and almost everything you can do wrong, I did. I didn't use RODI, didn't quarantine fish etc.

Flash forward to 2018 I did a lot better, bought a biocube 32 (up and running for about 2 years), upgraded to Steves LEDs, bought an RODI water maker, but I still didn't QT fish or corals (I did dip though), and recently traded out a couple colonies of corals (torch, zoas) for some nice sticks. have been doing pretty well for about a month now. I do have aiptasia which nudi's are taking care of but I wanted to do better.

Now I'm upgrading again I have a 65 JBJ AIO (no water in it yet), I'm starting with dry rock (marco I think its called), dry sand (special grade), upgrading my RODI to have an extra stage as well as a booster pump, I'm looking into getting an APEX system, possibly a trident and the DOS unit (on the fence about theses two), I have a reefi duo extreme for lighting, icecap gyre 4k for flow.

My plan, Build a 20 gal QT for fish - move the two fish from the biocube over to it and treat for ick velvet etc, I will say I haven't noticed any issues as of yet but I want to put them into the new display without the worry of it in the future. My understanding is if I treat them for these diseases properly ill never have to deal with it in the new tank. While the fish are QT the biocube should be "treating" itself for ick correct since there's no fish in it (76 days I think its the amount I need to keep it fishless). Going forward the biocube will be the new frag QT tank and the 20 gal will be the fish QT. To "jumpstart" the QT I have bioballs that have been in the biocube since day one so they should have a good enough bacteria to breakdown waste? also what are the odds that corals can transfer aiptasia, not the plugs, but the sticks themselves?

Am I on the right the track? Can you post helpful links for setting up a QT tank for corals and a QT tank for fish, as well as treating diseases. Please feel free to ask questions or point out things that I have missed etc

BONUS: someone had made a 3d printed refugium for this tank (JBJ 65 AIO flat panel), anyone know where I can send the files to get printed for me?

OP
OP
H

_HULK_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Found this video and it's helping a lot, 42min in. Maybe they'll address it but is it ok to run carbon in a QT tank that comes with the HOB filter cartridges, like will it absorb the various meds?

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joel, you might find this helpful

Welcome to R2R as well!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back