Reef Maggots?

Faustino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, recently I have noticed these strange white maggot looking things growing on my rocks... Can anyone tell me what they are? I haven't really seen them move and they are very easy to rip apart. Gently touching them will cause the maggot looking thing to separate in pieces. They are mostly in the inflow portion of the sump; however, I just found a bunch attached to live rock in the refugium section. Nudibranchs?

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

easternreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they are the tannish things in the second pic... They appear to be a sponge. the white on the rock may be something different.

OP
OP
Faustino

Faustino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no feathers coming out like a feather duster... After a quick google search it looks like pinapple sponge matches what I see.. thanks a lot guys!

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pineapple sponge, I have many in my tanks, the experts here say they're a good thing and they don't cause my any problems so I'm happy to have them.

Reef On!

OP
OP
Faustino

Faustino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, from what I have read they are generally found in younger tanks. My tank has only been running since January so this makes sense. I am glad they aren't anything sinister.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back