Reef/mangrove

swerv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried a half reef half mangrove forest tank just wondering if it's been done, or if it's possible.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess it depends on how you define what's a reef and what's a mangrove forest, as nature may not make a distinction.

You could do a mangrove forest and add various corals to it, as there's no real reason they can't go together, or you could section off part of the tank or have a connected tank dedicated to mangroves and seagrasses and so on and have a more traditional "mixed" reef in the other part.

Julian Sprung's pond for example has a huge (by hobbyist standards) mangrove tree in it and also has some high energy corals, clams, sponges, etc.

A lot of the tanks we have are totally unnatural mixes of animals that come from completely different environments. In the wilds, mangrove forest can often house various types of soft corals, sponges, "reef" fishes, urchins, etc. A "reef tank" could be as simple as rocks with some zoas and a few small fish. In that case just adding some mangroves would create a fairly natural and normal mix of livestock.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried a half reef half mangrove forest tank just wondering if it's been done, or if it's possible.
Guy at Reef Builders has a tank for mangroves. It's half full of water with mangroves in the back.
It's grown in his more recent videos.

Is that what you were thinking?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.6%
Back