Reef math: What do you use math for in your reef keeping?

Reef math: What do you use math for in your reef keeping?

  • Flow rates

    Votes: 63 22.6%
  • Salinity conversions

    Votes: 75 26.9%
  • Aquarium dimensions

    Votes: 131 47.0%
  • Weight calculations

    Votes: 96 34.4%
  • Dosing measurements

    Votes: 204 73.1%
  • Other

    Votes: 55 19.7%
  • No math here

    Votes: 33 11.8%

  • Total voters
    279

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2014
Messages
25,006
Reaction score
174,208
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef math: What do you use math for in your reef keeping?

All this talk about cubed reef this week has got me thinking about math! Don’t worry, we won’t ask you to solve any differential equations or do any non-Euclidian geometry, but I am wondering how much math you use as a reef keeper? Do you just wing it or follow what others suggest? Do you do the math yourself or maybe use an online calculator? Whether it is figuring out the dimensions and weight of your aquarium, doing salinity conversions, or dosing measurements, let us know what you use math for in your reef keeping. Bonus points for an explanation of the calculation of specific gravity using milk in your answer!

Strawberry_ReefMath.jpeg

Photo by @Strawberry
 
LOL I use all the math for everything, from figuring out how much sodium nitrate I need to add to fight dinos to how many LEDs I need to get 400 PAR to how high the water will rise over a weir.

Unfortunately, it doesn't help much :)
 
Reef math: What do you use math for in your reef keeping?

All this talk about cubed reef this week has got me thinking about math! Don’t worry, we won’t ask you to solve any differential equations or do any non-Euclidian geometry, but I am wondering how much math you use as a reef keeper? Do you just wing it or follow what others suggest? Do you do the math yourself or maybe use an online calculator? Whether it is figuring out the dimensions and weight of your aquarium, doing salinity conversions, or dosing measurements, let us know what you use math for in your reef keeping. Bonus points for an explanation of the calculation of specific gravity using milk in your answer!

Strawberry_ReefMath.jpeg

Photo by @Strawberry
Reef math is like chicken math.
Chicken Math Explained_ Any questions_ [HASH=72661]#chickenmath.jpeg[/HASH]


CM_Photogrid_1675960013913.jpg

Right?
Also, I have three (3) chickens. I need more of both.

Chicken Math Explained_ Any questions_ #chickenmath.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I use subtraction from my banking account of all the reefing costs. Then at the end of the year I use Bank calculator, which tells me how much I spent on my hobby and then I book a visit at my therapist to improve my mood.
 
Having large tanks, you can only imagine, I watch weight of tank and contents and for dosing
 
Oh. . . the other is my budget:

costs.jpg
 
Counting to 5 is a lot harder than one would think...
Wait, was that 3 or was that 4? :thinking-face:
20230209_121350.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new