Reef Oct Skimmer Foam

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using NOPOX about a month ago and the skimate is changing as a result. I'm running just a little wetter. What I don't like is the air holes in the collection cup are filling with the skimate (see photo below).

I cleaned the holes with a brush 12 hours before this picture, so that's how quick it happens. Anybody run into this or have ideas on how correct it?

IMG_1693.JPG

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a lot of liquid for 12 hrs. I’d back off on the nozzle a bit. I have a reef octo as well and run vinegar. I also have to clean those holes but only every 3 weeks or so. I also had to build a stand to elevate the skimmer to about 5” off the bottom of the sump.

OP
OP
B

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble Magnus used to do it along with other frustrations I switched back to an external skimmer .
Thanks for the reply. I'm not having any trouble controlling the water height internal to the skimmer. It's just that when the skimate reaches the top it doesn't move the the collection area quick enough, such that the breathing holes in the cap take the skimate with it.

OP
OP
B

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a lot of liquid for 12 hrs. I’d back off on the nozzle a bit. I have a reef octo as well and run vinegar. I also have to clean those holes but only every 3 weeks or so. I also had to build a stand to elevate the skimmer to about 5” off the bottom of the sump.

I'll probably try reducing the the water column a bit more to get a drier foam, to your point. The tank is 360 gallons, with unfortunately high nitrates.

The skimmer with the exact settings didn't exhibit this behavior until this week. I believe the difference is that the NOPOX is just beginning to have some affect. Also, only referring to the vent holes, the collection cup hasn't been dumped for 3-4 days.

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably try reducing the the water column a bit more to get a drier foam, to your point. The tank is 360 gallons, with unfortunately high nitrates.

The skimmer with the exact settings didn't exhibit this behavior until this week. I believe the difference is that the NOPOX is just beginning to have some affect. Also, only referring to the vent holes, the collection cup hasn't been dumped for 3-4 days.
I agree. My skimmate changed when I started dosing as well. I actually had an overflow in the cup and a nice algae bloom after. I'd like to think dosing is helping but I'm struggling with nutrients as well. It seems to be one trick in the bag but not a solution by itself for me. The tank is exploding in growth but now I have gha to go with it. I just added a stronger light to my refugium to get my cheto and red grac (don't remember the full name) to grow faster. My refugium has been a struggle to get going. The bucket refugium project is next. Good Luck!

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back