Reef Octo Elite 150-INT Setup

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some setup advice:
I have a RSR 425XL, just setting it up. My rocks have been cycling in a rubbermaid bin for about 3 months. Over the last week I put the rock in the tank, and used some reef safe putty to stabilize the structure along with some Carib Sea live sand. No livestock at all and I haven't added anything else.

Last night I put the skimmer in, and it overflows the cup in about 10 seconds even with the Air intake at 1-2 and pump at minimum.

Any thoughts if this is normal, how long the break-in period will be, and what i can do to stabilize things?

Thanks in advance-

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSR 425XL, just setting it up. My rocks have been cycling in a rubbermaid bin for about 3 months. Over the last week I put the rock in the tank, and used some reef safe putty to stabilize the structure along with some Carib Sea live sand. No livestock at all and I haven't added anything else.

Last night I put the skimmer in, and it overflows the cup in about 10 seconds even with the Air intake at 1-2 and pump at minimum.

Any thoughts if this is normal, how long the break-in period will be, and what i can do to stabilize things?

Thanks in advance-

I had the same problem with RO Elite 150 when running the water level towards the top end of the recommended range. Once I raised the skimmer to have the water level at the min 6" level it runs MUCH better now. I can set the skimmer to max speed and get much better quality foam with it at 6" vs. 7.75" as I originally had it set. But you'll also need a couple of weeks at least for break in so there are likely multiple factors at this point.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And actually you mentioned air intake at 1-2. I don't believe these skimmers have air intake adjustment. The numbers represent the skimmer pump outlet setting and I'm pretty sure mine are opposite so I'd double check that 1 actually means min (it could be max). Look at the position of the outlet to check. Open would be min skimmer water level and closed would be max.

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance-

This is completely normal and would suggest leaving the skimmer off while cycling especially if you added any bacteria. The skimmer really does not have anything to draw out of the water at this time. Once you start adding livestock then turn on the skimmer. If it overflows at that point then several large water changes and the use of fresh activated carbon will help draw out what is reacting with the skimmer.

OP
OP
DoctaReef

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And actually you mentioned air intake at 1-2. I don't believe these skimmers have air intake adjustment. The numbers represent the skimmer pump outlet setting and I'm pretty sure mine are opposite so I'd double check that 1 actually means min (it could be max). Look at the position of the outlet to check. Open would be min skimmer water level and closed would be max.

what did you use to raise up your skimmer?

OP
OP
DoctaReef

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is completely normal and would suggest leaving the skimmer off while cycling especially if you added any bacteria. The skimmer really does not have anything to draw out of the water at this time. Once you start adding livestock then turn on the skimmer. If it overflows at that point then several large water changes and the use of fresh activated carbon will help draw out what is reacting with the skimmer.

I'd agree except the rock has been cycling for approximately 3 months, unless something in the live sand can cause that to happen?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back